Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running multiple copies of XP on one computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wiggler14

wiggler14

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hi,

I'm working on a problem we have at work and am hoping for some advice here.

My situation is this:
At work we have to remote into many different sites using many different methods (each specific to our clients). Some of these methods conflict with each other so they need to be installed on different copies of XP/OS(in all we need 6 different environments). We originally had an older computer running multiple copies of XP in VMs. We found this way too slow for the work we needed to do. We then started trying to round up a bunch of PCs and install the software on them. This worked a bit better but was not efficiant to get up and move around to multiple PCs when working with multiple clients.

Does anyone have a solution that would incorporate one computer? Maybe multiple partitions each having XP installed?
It would be useful if this machine could be remotely connected to from our own stations and be able to switch to the different copies remotely as well. We would like to be able to connect with more than one user at a time but that may be pushing it.

Maybe I'm way off track and there is a better solution to our problem. Please provide any suggestions

Thank-you for any and all information!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

Well...any hard drive will accomodate 4 installs of Windows on primary partitions...but only one will run at a given time. All four cannot run at the same time...same as any multiboot system.

Only 1 partition per hard drive can be active at any one time.

Even if you installed multiple hard drives (as I have)...only one O/S partition can be active at any given moment.

You may wantr to read http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/05/22/how-to-share-keyboard-and-mouse-on-multiple-computers/ .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users