Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspicious Activity on my email

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 K23

K23

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

Over the past few days I've noticed highly suspicious activity in my main email account, which is a web-based hotmail account. As over this time period, I've had large numbers of delivery notification failures to my hotmail inbox which contain spam like messages featuring an attachment and word salad( I have not opened any of the attachments sent to my mail box), I've also noticed that the spam emails are ether forwarded to other people throughout the world, or are sent directly from me. This is suspicious enough for me, however today when I went to check my morning mail, I found that my inbox had an even larger number of spam attachment emails sent(again ether from me directly or forwarded from my box.In addition, even more alarming when I went to check my sent box I've confirmed that a sizable quantity of these spam messages where sent using my hotmail account.

I don't see how my account could have been compromised, as I have very strong and very regularly updated antivirus, anti-hacking, anti-phishing, etc the works in terms of protection. Also I follow good web protocol and never open anything from an unfamiliar sender etc, never look at sketchy inappropriate websites.

So I'm trying to figure out how my hotmail account could have been compromised like this?

However recently my college has come under frequent spam, phishing, hacking, an denial of service attacks so that is one possible cause of this I figure? Especially, since my school's web browser requires you to download a program every time you log on in order to access the internet.

Edited by K23, 22 November 2010 - 01:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 K23

K23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

Any opinions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users