Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

short.zip not going out of my pc.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ratanbose

ratanbose

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hi all,

friends i am running my pc with windows 7 64 bit ultimate and getting an error msg every time i m logging into pc i.e, Attached File  2qls7li.jpg   21.85KB   11 downloadsshort.zip the archive is in another format or damaged. I have tried all the thing but nothing helped me out. I am also attaching the error msg. Plz help me out . From some days my pc is crashing like hell and i think this file is after it. plz reply.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

What things have you tried that did not work? It would be helpful for us to know, so we don't suggest things you've already done.

#3 ratanbose

ratanbose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for replying .I have tried to stop the services by ms config, via windows 7 manager, tried to delete the file manually, everything failed. Got it checked by AVG, microsoft security essentials, avast but nothing showed it at as virus......

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

That ZIP archive is located in in the Startup folder for all users. Only administrator level user can remove or move it. Try this :

1. Open an elevated command prompt. (Start Menu -> type cmd -> right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run as administrator)
2. In the command prompt type this and press Enter:
Move "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\short.zip" %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
Better copy/paste to avoid any errors. To paste this code in command prompt, right-click in command-prompt window and choose Paste.
This should move this ZIP file to your desktop.

Edited by Romeo29, 22 November 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#5 ratanbose

ratanbose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

sorry it dint really worked it's back as it was......:(

#6 ratanbose

ratanbose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

and surplus to this i am eventually getting the BSOD data_kernel_inpage_error........ i am freaked out cant undrstand wat's happening......... :crazy:

#7 ratanbose

ratanbose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:29 AM

Is der anyone listening to me plz........

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:24 PM

"It did not work" is really confusing. You need to tell us more. What error is shown when you try to move the file.

Open command prompt (like I told in previous post) and then type the following and press Enter :
chkdsk /f c:
f you have more than one hard disk partitions like D:, E: etc. then repeat the command for all of the partitions. If it says to schedule, then press Y to schedule and restart the computer.

#9 ratanbose

ratanbose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

i did the process that was suggested the file was moved to the desktop bt after a restart the short.zip was again at its place.....

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

Some application is doing this at start up.
Download Auturuns. Run it in admin mode (right-click and Run as administrator). After it is finished scanning, save the output to a file and attach it in your next reply. Do not post the contents but attach the file.

#11 DDDanielDDD

DDDanielDDD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hi guys!

I've got the same problem!

Don't you think perhaps it has something to do with the program "AVG PC Tuneup 2011"?
There is a option there which deals with "reparing" files in the startup.

Daniel

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:25 AM

Hello,

And welcome to BleepingComputer.com, please run the following:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Full Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#13 DDDanielDDD

DDDanielDDD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware didn't detect the short.zip file. Is it save, necessary or smart to delete the file manually or not? Is this file harmful and what is it?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Can you post the log?

#15 TMcDonagh97

TMcDonagh97

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:01 AM

I had the same problem, I managed to fix it though. Go to Start, search "system config", selct System Configuration, go to the startup tab, scroll to the bottom and un-tick "short".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users