Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Remove System Tool

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnJM

JohnJM

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:00 AM

Hi.
Twice I went through your very explicit (and well-written) instructions for removing System Tool without success. Now I'm going through the entire process again and Malwarebytes' has found no infections on this run through. Is there something that I might be missing or am probably doing incorrectly? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

(Running XP Pro)

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hello and :welcome: to the BC forums.

It could be that MBAM's definitions database has not been updated.

Did you successfully update the database in MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware)? The last I saw (yesterday) it was up to database version 5166.

After downloading and installing the latest updates, work through the guide again. This should successfully remove the System Tool malware.

Post (copy/paste) the entire contents of your MBAM logs in this thread please.
Open MBAM > Logs ... to find the saved logs.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 JohnJM

JohnJM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:39 AM

Thanks, AustrAlien. MBAM did update: I was using version 5172, but it still didn't work. I finally went ahead and bought/installed Spyware Doctor from PC Tools, which had beeen recommended by a couple sites and a friend, and that worked. That System Tools is such an obnoxious piece of malware! Besides everything else, I was driven nuts by the juvenile verbiage, convinced that if I read further I'd come upon something like, "OMG!! You don't want to lose all of those precious MP3s you've downloaded, do you?? How could you survive without those?? Your life would be a mess...a real mess...and all your friends would know that you lost everything!, etc".

Thanks for your help.

--J

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:46 AM

Glad to know you were able to rid your system of the intruder.

Thanks for letting us know.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users