Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win IE has not opened properly since installation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 greyham

greyham

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:59 AM

Ever since i installed win XP again, my Internet explorer has not opened properly
i click the icon and IE opens for about 0.2 seconds and then dissapears even fromt eh task manager
i installed IE 8 but when i install it it says unable to delete old IE 8 install and that i will not be able to delete the new one either
when i go to internet explorer folder in program files, since i unticked the box after the latest installation today the IE exe file is gone but EVERYTHING else remains that i can rember
when i delete this folder the files inside the connection wizzard regerate endlesssly
i suspect a virus is present but when i disable third party applications for IE the same thing happens, so if it is its a damn powerful one and was included either on my WIN XP CD or deep within my HDD or something (i know nothing about folder permissions and viruses and the like however)
i need IE to do my internet banking and run certain games that just wont run in chrome or firefox

i have run out of ideas besides formatting my HDD and taking off almost all the files i have had saved since the late 1990s to try and eliminate any possible viruses
which wont help it theres something on my MB or some simple compatabilty error...

please, help me, even if you think it might not be of relavence, anything you may know that will work or any other forums that have ideas just reply or PM me please :)

i already tried IE fix and a microsoft auto-fixer program and as i said before disabling3rd party programs from internet options under browsing but they didnt help at all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:08 AM

Hi -
Try a scan with scannow and your CD - Basic directions are below - Close all other programs first -
Go Start > Run Box , or Windows Key+R type or copy/paste:
sfc /scannow
Click OK .
Have Windows CD handy .
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD

Next , open Run Box again and copy/paste the code below into the box -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Again this will take about 30 mins to run , let it run the full 5 stage check -
Basic checks , but you asked for any ideas to start with -

Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:29 AM

System manufacturer and model?

What version of IE...was initially installed when you reinstalled Windows?

Did you do a clean install...one where the previous install was deleted?

Why did you reinstall?

Where did you get your IE8 download?

Louis

#4 greyham

greyham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:04 AM

System manufacturer and model?

What version of IE...was initially installed when you reinstalled Windows?

Did you do a clean install...one where the previous install was deleted?

Why did you reinstall?

Where did you get your IE8 download?

Louis

hi, my (as below, backup) HDD model is a samsung 1TB with 7200RPMS with the xp install and a Hitachi 1.5TB with the broken win 7... i think, i cant check atm because im looking at the XP product key screen on a 50G partition on the 1TB drive, although im starting to think i might have misread that and its actually on the 1.5TB drive and it was running on an AMD 2000+ with 2G RAM but now its on a AMD X6 1055 with 4G of RAM on the $95~ mobo

i reinstalled because my win 7 copy was acting up coz i tried to install an xp emulator but the installed notified microsoft that it was illedgit and because i figured it would become unusable like xp does when it knows its not valid
i installed xp on a backup 1TB HDD that i think i was testing another xp install with the same product key on and i intended to move the backup stuff back to my win 7 HDD before doing another fresh install but it took so long to get xp up and running i couldnt be bothered to move everything off and on again because i wasnt confident how to do a full install after a reimage

i rember doing an install where the old windows folder was renamed `windows old` and the new one was named windows so i guess i didnt delete the old install (but i did delete the files manually), but again that may have been practice on the 1.5TB HDD because i rember i installed XP about 3-5 times when i upgraded my CPU/mobo and RAM

also, i had had enough from having to reimage that hdd and learning how to make windows detect HDDs before i could install anything which ended up delaying me several days and making me more frustrated about doing anything further that would cost me time with my computer and organising my music library which still isnt done because of this same problem

origionally the default IE was installed with whatever comes with service pack 0 on xp
that didnt work so i went to the microsoft website (or a very convincing copy with no adds or suspicious hyperlinks or badly phrased english -though microsoft has never been known for its communication skills, especially online) and downloaded first IE7 and then when that didnt work either, IE8 which i installed before SP3 and afterward it said i could neither uninstall the old IE8 from before i installed SP3 not the new versions which i wrote over the top of that but could never find the installation folder for as the IE folder in program files did not contain a version number in the .exe file name like any sensible program normally would

also, can i ask - how many times can you reinstall xp with the same product key on differnt systems? i think i saw mention of a limit somewhere but idk for sure

#5 greyham

greyham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:15 AM

o, i also forgot to add since ive ignored it for awhile, but when my xp startes as soon as the startup sound plays, the windows error msg plays, but there is no error window that comes up..
i have no idea what to make of this besides a few shakily based suspicions

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:53 AM

Pertinent parts of the many words supplied:

<<i reinstalled because my win 7 copy was acting up coz i tried to install an xp emulator but the installed notified microsoft that it was illedgit and because i figured it would become unusable like xp does when it knows its not valid>>

<<i installed xp on a backup 1TB HDD that i think i was testing another xp install with the same product key...>>

IMO, you have an illegal install of XP.

Forum rules include the following:

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

I certainly won't encourage you :).

This thread is now closed, based on my interpretation of rules and your situation.

If you like, you may PM me if you believe this is done in error/ignorance or otherwise an error by me.

Louis

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

Topic reopened.

OP asserts that previous illegal installs are past...XP installed is original O/S.

The best advice I can give...is do a clean install, using the disk you have. Then install either SP1 or SP2 (your choice). Then install SP3.

A system that had files which were near-current...and then attempts to install system files which are 9-10 years old...as a possible repair effort...well, I would not expect success.

No one is able to glue a glass jar back together...once it's broken...so that it looks/acts like the original.

A clean install will at least allow pinpointing of problems which occur.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2010 - 02:01 PM.

#8 greyham

greyham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:40 AM

No one is able to glue a glass jar back together...once it's broken...so that it looks/acts like the original.

A clean install will at least allow pinpointing of problems which occur.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

Thanks, I figured it was something like that and i was in the long process of reinstalling when i wrote my other post and as i mentioned had to do a couple of test installs which meant i had to revalidate.
if i have any problems with the new install ill take another look at these guides

Edited by greyham, 26 November 2010 - 12:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users