Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open My Computer, Control Panel Or Use Explorer.exe Without Crashing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 knish

knish

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:16 PM

When I open My Computer, Control Panel or any other folder that requires explorer.exe to run, the system crashes, the desktop disappears and then reappears. I can then click on My Computer etc. with success but can only do this once. Basically every other time that I try to access explorer.exe the system crashes. The crash notes the error with atl.dll when opening explorer.exe. Atl.dll is not read only, and I've tried re-installing the file with no success. I've also tried moving all .cpl files out of the system32 folder but it still crashes when opening Control Panel.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

From another post that I made:

Next, please go to Start...Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer. Once Event Viewer opens there will be 3 categories listed in the left hand pane (Application, Security, and System). Please click on each one (in turn) and view the messages for that category in the right hand pane. Look for any error messages around the time of the last problem. Then right click on the error and select "Properties". In the window that opens will be a text description of the error - please copy it down and forward it to me.

The error text should generally be in the format of 0x0000007a - with the last 2 letters'numbers changing depending upon the error. Also, usually another 4 sets of these numbers follows the error message - they are important also. Finally, at times there is a file name mentioned with the error message - please let me know what it is.

If there are too many errors to choose from, please let me know and we can proceed a bit differently. Also, generally speaking, the usual location for this type of error will be in the System category - but there is a possibility that it may be in the other areas. Please do not erase your log files until we're finished troubleshooting this issue.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 knish

knish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for your help, I was talking with another guy at work and I disabled the Browser Helper Objects in control panel and it's working fine now. Thanks for your help.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

If this is a BHO error - then there's a good chance that you've been infected with a virus of some sort (and, the problem will probably recur).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users