Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't access Internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sparks_IT

Sparks_IT

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

I need some help with this one...working on an HP laptop, and the PC will not connect out to internet. I checked the usuall suspects, no proxy set and nothing in the host file, and I successfully pinged both yahoo and google. Rebooted the PC into safe mode, and the PC can browse the internet, so I installed both Malwarebytes and Spybot, has the users Norton would not start(I don't think its even been activated). Ran them both(immunized with Spybot); clean several items, malwarebytes log attached, rebooted and still nothing, went back into safe mode installed chrome to test if IE was having issue. Rebooted and nothing with IE or chrome, downloaded rkill.com to see if any virus were running, and the only service that was killed was a chrome service. As a last resort I did do a System Restore(Normally I disable this but its not my PC so I was trying make has few changes has possible) went back a month same result(no surprise), undid the restore. Ran Highjackthis, log also attached. Any suggestions??

Attached Files

Edited by Sparks_IT, 21 November 2010 - 09:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sparks_IT

Sparks_IT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:15 AM

Please close...Infection has been cleaned...turns out that Norton 360 screwed up the winsock. Uninstall of Norton 360, winsock reset and reinstall of Norton 360, and all is good.

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for letting me know :thumbup2:

-----------------------------------------------

This topic has been closed.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users