Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIndows Update concerns

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kaelkitty

Kaelkitty

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hi All,
This is my first public post here, so you will have to bear with me a bit. About two weeks ago I had a big virus problem (now fixed) BUT during the course of things I had to perform a system restore which has left me with a problem. The day of the problem was the day that Automatic Updates had installed Vista Service Pack 2. The System Restore rolled this back and I now apparently only have Service Pack 1. I have had Automatic Updates turned off ever since the problem occurred. When I turned it back on there are three new "important" updates in the queue and four others. I am not sure if I should go ahead and install these updates or not, or if I need to do something else first to "turn Service Pack 2" back on, so to speak. I am not even sure IF I should have SP2, as I have been told that it can cause problems, but I don't have enough information to decide.

This is a fairly new installation of Vista (install date 23/10/2010) and I am new to Vista myself, having just transitioned from XP when I purchased this computer, so I'd like some advice before I go and do something irreparable. This system has a LOT of legacy software from my old system (transferred by the technician where I purchased this machine) which I am in the slow process of updating and I might also need some help to do that later on.

Ciao, Kaelkitty.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaelkitty

Kaelkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:09 PM

Just a little Bump - after 5 days, can anyone throw me a bone here? Any thing would be nice...

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

You should have SP2 for vista installed.

I would go to updates and install all important updates.
And have settings to install critical and important updates automatically.

Keep your antivirus up to date also and run a scan weekly.

Have a look at pc-decrapifier to get rid of unneeded programs.

http://majorgeeks.com/PC_De-Crapifier_d5223.html

#4 Kaelkitty

Kaelkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

I did have, THEN I did the System Restore, and now I seem to only have SP1 _ THAT is my problem!

#5 Kaelkitty

Kaelkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:44 PM

PS Anti-Virus is AVG2011, scanning every 24 hours, so that is OK. I'll have a look at the program you suggest.

#6 Kaelkitty

Kaelkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:38 PM

This is all that majorgeeks.com/PC_De-Crapifier found:

I use these three items almost daily so I don't want to take them off -
Adobe Reader 9.lnk Icon Adobe Reader 9.lnk
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher RunReg Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
OpenOffice.org 3.0.lnk StartupIcon Removing this will improve startup time,but will slow Open Office

I think (but I am not quite sure) that my photocopier/scanner uses one or both of these -
HotKeysCmds RunReg Installed by the Intel 810 and 815 chipset graphic drivers.
igfxtray RunReg Provides access to the Control Panel with a System Tray Icon

The reason I am not sure is that my Sharp AR-M160 photocopier/scanner was installed on-site by the Photocopier Company I purchased it from and he said something at the time about HotKeys - the photocopier is the ONLY thing on my system other than Windows itself that I didn't personally install and I certainly DON'T want to mess with it, as it took the guy from the copier company over an hour to get it up and running at the time and it is an essential production tool for me.

These three items I am not sure I need or not - I think I need more information before I remove them
Persistence RunReg Useful if you use laptop in different screen modes.. ? this is a PC!
QuickTime Task RunReg QuickTime Task Tray
SunJavaUpdateScheduler RunReg Java Runtime Updater

One more thing I wanted to say. I have Asperger's Syndrome and some other disability issues. You will probably notice it mostly, in that I do not generalise rules from examples very well. I can follow instructions fine usually, (I have used a computer pretty much continually since the mid 1980s) but if I don't understand something I will stop and ask for clarification before I proceed. I have a lot of prior experience with DOS, Win 3.1, Win 2000 and XP, but Vista is giving me the whim-whams. So many things I rely on either don't work at all or they work differently to how I expect them to work that I feel like I am just about to crack up at times. I won't go into the whole list now because I want to get this update thing sorted out first of all.

Ciao, Kaelkitty.

Edited by Kaelkitty, 27 November 2010 - 03:01 AM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Well when you do a system restore all updates done after that restore date are removed. You will need to reapply all updates again to get them back up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users