Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Stops At Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Connie1954

Connie1954

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:37 PM

Hi,
I'm having big trouble with my PC. I have Windows 98SE on it. The other day I bought a Lexmark printer. Couldn't get it to recognize the USB port, so I uninstalled it, as suggested. Then reinstalled it, and everything was fine. It worked and printed, as I wanted it to. Now before this happened, I had uninstalled my "Privacy Service" that is part of my McAfee Security Suite. I reinstalled that, and as instructed, clicked the restart button. This is when the trouble began with the system just stopping at the desktop (startup).

I turn the PC on, it starts like it always does, going thru the system checks. Gets to the Desktop, asks for my password to log onto Windows, and then just stops. I don't know if my hard drive is fried (would I even get this far?) or if there is a virus/worm or what. When I do ctl+alt+delete, I see the following: kb891711, and msgsvr32. I've read there is a worm related to the msgsvr32. At one point, I also got this error message, (but only saw it once): "a fatal exception OD has occurred at 17CF:00001F81. The current application will be terminated." Can anyone help?

Thanks so much
Connie1954

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:06 PM

I hate Mcafee Security Suite, especially when it comes to Win 98. I will watch this thread as I am curious if you can ever get this program to work correctly. I have not had much success with it. Good luck.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:28 AM

Hi connie1954

After a little searching around I've found that there was a problem with a security patch released on January 11, 2005. - kb891711 that affected Win 98 users in various ways.

This Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-002 discusses that problem.

Why was this security bulletin updated on April 12, 2005?

After the release of the MS05-002 security bulletin, Microsoft became aware of an issue affecting customers deploying the Windows 98, 98SE and ME security update. In most cases, the issue caused machines to unexpectedly restart.

Microsoft has investigated this issue and has made available revised security updates for these platforms. These revised security updates are available from Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center. Customers who have not yet applied the original version of these updates should visit Windows Update to receive the revised updates.

Customers who have already applied the original Windows 98, 98SE and ME security update are advised to install the current revision of the update from Windows Update.

It appears the fix may be to get the replacement patch of April '05 and remove the initial from Jan '05.

Here is a link to another site's discussions on Problems after MS update KB891711
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:41 AM

I am sure you have tme left on your subscriptio to MacAfee but uninstalling McAfee and going with an array of freeware suggested by members of this site would solve alot of your headaches.
By the way how much RAM do you have on your computer? With all the security suggested these days you may want to san your system to see how much RAM your background program are running.

Everest home (hardware and software information)
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Connie1954

Connie1954
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:36 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions--it is greatly appreciated. I know enough about PC's to screw things up, and then try to fix the problem myself!! I will try the patch this evening. Since I am posting from my work PC, I am hoping I can download it to a floppy? Only one PC at home. Wish me luck, will let you know if I'm successful.

thanks again for taking time to reply,
Connie1954

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users