Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.Net framework updates won't install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ABNINF

ABNINF

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

Howdy!

I've been dealing with Gringo_pr in the malware/viruses/trojan section and have received some spectacular assistance!

While cleaning the machines an issue came up that wasn't as important as removing nasties from my machines. It has been a problem for awhile but I made the assumption it was due to the malware that was present. Evidently it is not.

I have 2 machines that have d/l'ed but will not install 6 .Net framework security updates. They are;

KB 2418241
KB 2416447
KB 983583
KB 951847
KB 982524
KB 982168

I have tried to install them one at a time. I have tried to install them on shut down. I have tried to install them all at once. They simply will not install.

One of them, KB 982168, will say 'Done!' but when the machine reboots it is still in the install list. I have looked in the Add/Remove program and it doesn't show up in the updates ....

I'm thinking I might have to uninstall/reinstall the .Net framework but I'll need some help with that if I have to go there.

What I have on these machines as far as the .Net framework goes is;

.Net framework 1.1
.Net framework 2.0 SP 2
.Net framework 3.0 SP 2
.Net framework 3.5 SP 1

That is what is showing in the Add/Remove program.

Any ideas as to what may have happened or what I may need to do to be able to install these updates? Any help will be appreciated!

KC

On Edit; It might be nice if I told you I am running Win XP SP 3

:wink:

Edited by WWPREBroker, 21 November 2010 - 04:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

The .NET framework is a mess when the install messes up, I found that a clean intsall made it easier. You can go through the add/remove programs route and the trouble shooters at MS Support but it is painful, I think I eventualy went with a tool by Aaron Strebner. But the process is such a pain, I would recomend the clean install. I work in an environment where data back up and reinstalling is often easier than messing with it.

That and $1.95 will buy you a cup of coffee.

ETA: What error message show in Update History?

Edited by Mooseby, 21 November 2010 - 05:57 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

I find that the Strebner tool uninstalls all versions and I didn't follow the directions posted for it...I just installed and then ran it.

Once it had removed all versions of MS.NET, I then installed 3.5, SP1 (which includes elements from 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5).

But...I don't necessaarily think that a problem with Windows Update malfunctions...calls for uninstalling MS.NET.

Dotnetfix Cleanup Tools - http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

I certainly would not consider a reinstall of XP for such.

Louis

#4 ABNINF

ABNINF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

I find that the Strebner tool uninstalls all versions and I didn't follow the directions posted for it...I just installed and then ran it.

Once it had removed all versions of MS.NET, I then installed 3.5, SP1 (which includes elements from 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5).

But...I don't necessaarily think that a problem with Windows Update malfunctions...calls for uninstalling MS.NET.

Dotnetfix Cleanup Tools - http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Louis

Thanks! No, a complete reinstall is not really an option. We Ghost all the machines so I can play around with a few things. I'll definitely be checking out the link provided though.

We have 4 machines which are identical in hardware with slight variations in software. I'm really surprised these 2 machines have this issue but the other 2 do not.

I'll see how the above works and get back with you.

Thanks again!

KC

#5 ABNINF

ABNINF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:46 PM

ETA: What error message show in Update History?

I haven't checked back far enough to get to the 'fails' on the updates yet. I'm going to check that next.

Thanks for the advice!

KC

#6 ABNINF

ABNINF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

Louis

Louis, you ROCK! I used the tool above and it worked amazingly well. It took some time but it was not overly difficult.

Wow. Once it got the clean up done the .Net updates just started pouring in. That is outstanding.

Now I can Ghost those 2 machines and we'll be golden!

Thanks again,

KC

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

#8 ABNINF

ABNINF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

heh ... well, I didn't resolve it YOU did but thanks anyway. This site has so much great information. I've 'visited' here for years but only recently signed up. I can't believe I waited so long.

Happy Thanksgiving!
KC

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

Thanks...Happy Thanksgiving to you also :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users