Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Sp1 To Sp2 Upgrade New Licence

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 distyng

distyng

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:06 PM

Have a hard disk with XP Professional SP1 but found it was illegal. Have therefore purchased a new XP professional SP2 CD with legal licence and wish to upgrade the system.

Have used the Activation Wizard to change licence No. and this went without problems but now when go to upgrade XP with new licence but still on SP1 to SP2 using Microsoft Windows Update still says licence illegal.

Have I missed something or should you install from CD.

Reluctant to do so as have been told can effect application software.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:15 PM

Have you called MicroSoft? They will provide technical support now that you are legal. If you try to install SP2 from the disk it will reinstall XP over the old software wiping out your previous data. I must confess I have never run accross this before. There maybe a work around, allow the rest of the member to chime in. In the mean time I still recommend you contact MS.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users