Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

main drive doens't boot anymore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cyberstefke

cyberstefke

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

I went away for the weekend and when I got home the pc didn't boot anymore. I got the message:

'reboot and select proper boot device'

I worked my way into the recovery console and used fixboot and fixmbr. Then tried bootcfg /rebuild. It said: "Error: Failed to successfully scan disk for Windows Installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system."

I tried to scan the HD for errors by using chkdsk /p /r but still it displays the same error massage after running bootcfg /rebuild.

Help? :-/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Your computer make and model number would be helpful to us in offering better assistance.

It appears your system was running fine and then a problem popped up.

The question is why the problem popped up out of no-where.

Was there a power failure or electrical storm during this time?

Was the system used by another person during your absence?

Was there a reboot performed?

What I would suggest is try opening the computer if this is a desktop model and try disconnecting the data cable from the primary hard drive, then re-connecting it again. Data cables connect to both the hard drive and the motherboard, so you should disconnect the cable at both locations.

Your connections could be hindered by oxidation or corrosion on the metal contacts.

This can cause hard drive issues such as yours.

Once this has been done, I suggest you boot up the computer and access the computer's BIOS utility and check the status on the PRIMARY CHANNEL, this would be where your hard drive would be connected.

SATA drives would be SATA 0 SATA 1 etc.

Make sure the drive is recognized by the system in this area.

Once you have performed this task, please post back if your computer continues to do as you posted above and we'll take it from there.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users