Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router hijacking and Redirect issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jaredmcdonnell

jaredmcdonnell

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

I have a log posted for action and, following the rules, I am changing nothing until a volunteer helps me. Thank you for having that service!

But in reading through some other log reslution theads, I am pretty sure we are going ot find out we have an issue with the router; in particular, the problem now (mildly) also affects my work-issued laptop, but only when I am using it at home. I have waited at work for it to happen so my IT person can look at it, but it never happens there.

So the home router is suspect.

And a lot of similar theads are acattered through the log threads and I see the volunteers over and over going through steps and ending up suspecting the router.

Would a generic protocol for resetting the router and then implementing a set of anti-malware actions be appropriate? I am not sure which to do first. Does setting a user name and password on the router essentially stop getting it rerouted and it no longer needs to be considered?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

Does setting a user name and password on the router essentially stop getting it rerouted and it no longer needs to be considered?

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The answer to your question is YES.

Now depending on your router and what security protocol it has, you should use a different passphrase for wireless as often as every 30 days at the very least.

The wireless N routers are the best and latest routers out there.

G is Okay as well.

If your router is a B router, I would recommend an upgrade, most of those routers only use WEP as their best defense. WEP is very easy to crack.

WPA is the best.

There are two types of WPA.

WPA-PSK [TKIP]

WPA2-PSK [AES]

Both options above can be implemented at the same time.

Such as WPA-PSK & WPA2-PSK.

The passphrase should be at the very least 30 characters long and can be set to as many as 63.

Use a random passphrase rather than names or birth dates.

Here is an example of a very secure passphrase.

2wnY9$In3@hRbW8&m3Wo%f2NaW8$mME2IwZ$Lq0%

This passphrase would take quite some time to crack just as it is. But by some standards it is still considered rather weak.

Newer routers also have a feature built in, that ignores an access attempt, even if the correct passphrase is compromised or used.

Under Advance settings for Wireless you can use the wireless card access list option.

This option will have to be accessed through the routers firmware, then you have to click the wireless setup access list button, here, you can see a computer or wireless device that is attempting access to your router's wireless access. It lists it by computer name and MAC address. You have to add that computer's MAC address to the list and click apply.

If a device with an un-familure MAC address tries to gain access, it is denyed.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users