Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Restarting Soon After Logon

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lifelonglufc

lifelonglufc

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:35 PM

When i log on to my user name, the desktop comes up along with background and everything seems to be ok and I can even run any program, but after a few minutes my computer justs shuts down and restarts itself, I dont have a clue why this is happening
and its only happening recently and is very annoying and i hope someone could help me with this problem

Regards.

Edited by lifelonglufc, 28 November 2005 - 01:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:07 PM

When it shutdown does it shutdown as if you hit shutdown key or just turns it's self off without warning?

Edited by acklan, 28 November 2005 - 02:08 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 lifelonglufc

lifelonglufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:32 AM

It just turns itself off without warning

#4 shiva

shiva

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:09 AM

I think may be your cpu fan is not working properly or heatsink is not properly touching the cpu.Please check because i also faced same problem sometime ago and found the cause of restarting like yours was cpu overheating due to cpu fan malfunctioning.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:58 AM

I think may be your cpu fan is not working properly or heatsink is not properly touching the cpu.Please check because i also faced same problem sometime ago and found the cause of restarting like yours was cpu overheating due to cpu fan malfunctioning.

100% agree. Heat is a big problem, and is usally from a dirty PC. It's the easy firat step and you should clean out the inside of you PC once a year at least. More if you have pets or live in a dusty enviroments.
Buy a can of air from your local computer store or Walmart, and clean the entire PC while you have the case open. Just be sure and unplug the computer.

#6 lifelonglufc

lifelonglufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:47 AM

So when i open up my computer what should I be looking for and what should I be cleaning

Thanks

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:03 AM

The main thing is the CPU. It will have a fan attached will a heatsink. The heatsink is a grill mounted to the processor. It works like a radiator in a car. If it is clogged it will not take the heat from the processor. In general just remove all lint and dust. When blowing out the power supply do not inset anything into the case passed the fan. It has a high voltage capacitor that is very dangerous, but is not an issue if you do not enter the power supply.

#8 lifelonglufc

lifelonglufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:16 AM

OK, Ive cleaned it all and wasnt much dust anyway, but im still having problem and now its returnung error message: "The system has recovered from a serious error"
It is still restarting soon after its turned on

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:33 AM

Have you had any hardware upgrades or install software lately?

#10 shiva

shiva

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:00 PM

I think may be when you cleaned your cpu,the ram became loose and you are seeing this message.Please remove the ram from ram slot and reconnect to ram slot firmly.May be this will work.Also check if pci device in pci slot is loose and if any device is loose connect it firmly.

#11 lifelonglufc

lifelonglufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:43 PM

Ive had no hardware upgrades or installed any software recently, and also checked all connections, but still have same problem, Its really getting annoying now, I barely have enough time to type this message before it restarts again :thumbsup:

Got any more ideas on what might be the problem?

Edited by lifelonglufc, 29 November 2005 - 01:46 PM.

#12 lifelonglufc

lifelonglufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:17 PM

I THINK I MIGHT HAVE SOLVED MY PROBLEM, I WAS JUST TALKING TO A FRIEND OF A FRIEND, WHO WORKS ON STUFF LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME AND HE TOLD ME TO CHECK MY DEVICE DRIVERS AND IT APPEARARED THAT I ACCIDENTLY INSTALLED AN UNSIGNED DRIVER AND THIS WAS CAUSING THE PROBLEM. IN THE END HE SAID I COULD JUST USE SYSTEM RESTORE FOR A QUICK FIX AND THATS WHAT I DID I RESTORED TO FOUR DAYS AGO AND EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING OK AGAIN :thumbsup:

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ANYWAY THOUGH!
CHEERS

Edited by lifelonglufc, 29 November 2005 - 02:17 PM.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:05 PM

Great! Glad to see it worked out. Reply in a few days and let us know how you are doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users