Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wallpapers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wkid

wkid

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

Windows XP Home SP3

in general:
  • I am working under the assumption of, "if you can think it up, it can be done."
  • My best guess is that a batch file is the tool to be used; however I have not learned batch files yet.

details of what I wish to accomplish and features I have at my disposal:
  • I have created and saved a custom "whiteboard" wallpaper for certain tasks I perform.
  • I use this wallpaper only when performing these tasks.
  • Upon completion of the task(s), I return to whatever my current wallpaper is. (I have just shy of 1GB of images in wallpaper ready form saved on my external drive and change them frequently.)
  • I want to be able to toggle back and forth between the "whiteboard" wallpaper (always one of the choices) and the current wallpaper (which could be anything) at any given time. Continually navigating to a file, right click, choose set as a desktop background is quite a nuisance.

How can I accomplish this?

All helpful guidance will be appreciated.

regards,
wkid
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. - Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

Not quit what you want but.

I save all my wallpapers to C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper. You can then use the normal Windows right-click on Desktop > Properties > Desktop tab. You wallpaper additional\custom choices will appear in the Window along with the native options.

#3 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

I see how that could work if I had fewer wallpaper choices, or if I did not change them frequently. The two biggest issues I wish to resolve are:
  • choosing the current wallpaper without having to wade through 5000+ saved ones (hence the toggle feature)
  • differentiating between the "whiteboard" default and the randomness of which wallpaper currently pleases me (Sometimes I choose one to irritate others who may log on to my user account. :hysterical: I prefer that option to passward protecting my user account. The other users don't know how to change wallpapers.)

thanks,
wkid

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

I would think a script of sorts could be written. But that is a bit above my pay (knowledge) <_< level. :blush:

I know there are some very talented Members that posses the knowledge. Perhaps one will jump in with a possible solution.

Another possible option. Did not read through the whole article.Shortcut to hide wallpaper.

Edited by ThunderZ, 21 November 2010 - 11:45 AM.

#5 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hmmmm

That merits some further inspection.

#6 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:11 PM

This approach is probably overkill for what you want to do but, how about creating multiple desktops with something like Dexpot? I've installed this but haven't played with it much yet.

#7 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I'm going to have to postpone detailed work on this until after Thanksgiving because I need to stay focused on Study Hall. The preps and holiday weekend will be quite time consuming.

regards,
wkid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users