Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't do system recovery

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

Hello.... Well, I am sure now that I can not do system recovery from any recovery point unless I am in safe mode. But as you know you can NOT undo system recoveries you do from safe mode. I have tried with my Avira antivirus disabled but it re-enables itself automatically anyway at restart. However I don't really believe that Avira is the reason.

It has been quite sometime now that system restore fails and I thought maybe it were the particular restore points that couldn't be restored, but now I know that this is the case for all points. The thing is that you have to go through all the process and the waiting involved to get the failure message and that is a pain in the back if one wishes to experiment until the culprit is found.

I believe my computer is clean as I regularly scan it with malwarebytes and superantispyware. I have avira and comodo fw activated and the computer's functioning is otherwise very satisfying.

Any idea of how can the above problem be fixed?
I have windows 7 ultimate x64

My Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup Services are set to manual. Should I change that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:50 AM

Did you try to restore using Windows 7 installation disk?

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:59 AM

Did you try to restore using Windows 7 installation disk?

Well, I have to admit that I am not very sure of how does this work and if you lose any files or settings at the process. However, my problem is not really that I can not do system restore because as I mentioned I can, but only on safe mode. I just wonder why it is not functioning in normal mode as it should. Maybe there is a wrong setting....

I get this message: System Restore Did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.
Details: System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an antivirus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.

When I stop avira, it re-enables itself at start up. Maybe it's an avira's setting.....

#4 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:12 AM

It may be that Avira blocks system restore, because Norton Antivirus do it...

You should try this

Go to Avira's configuration > tick Expert Mode > Guard > Scan > Further actions > untick the "Block autostart function" option, click Apply.

Tell what happened... :)

See you :busy:

Max

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

Is this the method which you tried?

Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

Click on System Restore and then click on Next for the two following pages.

On the page titled Choose a Restore Point click on a date prior to your current problem and then click on Next. To see earlier restore points click on Show Other Restore Points.

On the following page you will have the option to view the programs and drivers that will be deleted. To go to the next page click on close and then Next.

On the following page click on Finish. You will then be prompted to confirm that you want to start the System Restore by clicking of Yes. This will immediately restart your computer to finish the System Restore.

After the computer has restarted click on Close.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Is this the method which you tried?

Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

Click on System Restore and then click on Next for the two following pages.

On the page titled Choose a Restore Point click on a date prior to your current problem and then click on Next. To see earlier restore points click on Show Other Restore Points.

On the following page you will have the option to view the programs and drivers that will be deleted. To go to the next page click on close and then Next.

On the following page click on Finish. You will then be prompted to confirm that you want to start the System Restore by clicking of Yes. This will immediately restart your computer to finish the System Restore.

After the computer has restarted click on Close.

Thank you dc3. I already know the process. But after the restart I get the message I mentioned before and the system restore does not complete.

#7 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:55 AM

Hello,

Did you try the option I told you to change the Avira settings?

#8 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hello,

Did you try the option I told you to change the Avira settings?

Hi...Sorry for the late response. I was pretty busy and I only now found time to do the system recovery. I un-ticked the block-autostart function from avira and tried to do the restore and I got this message:

Posted Image

I use the free version of superantispyware which is only manual scan and I happened to update it recently to a newer version. However it is strange to me that it failed, now apparently for another reason.

#9 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:01 AM

You might remove that free anti-virus and use microsoft security essentials, it's free too!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#10 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

Superantispyware is only for manual scan. I have it set not to start with windows. I cannot do system recovery even when it is off.
I tried again to do one and got again the same message:

System Restore Did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.
Details: System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an antivirus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry System Restor

#11 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

I have been looking for quite sometime for a solution in the internet and tried several stuff. It seems like there are many people facing this particular problem, especially with windows 7, but there is no solid solution. I guess I have to rely at the safe mode for system restore.
I was hoping on this forum there would be someone that maybe has found a solution to this annoying issue. Anyway, I don't complain coz it is the first time that I didn't get a solution to my problem here. I will come back as soon as there is any development. Thank you everyone.

#12 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

n Norton products, it is the tamper prevention that stops system restore. Check to see if Avira also has a tamper prevention component that may be causing the issue.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:12 AM

Have you tried to do a System Restore in Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

Have you tried to do a System Restore in Safe Mode?

Yes I have tried it and it works. But as I said, you cannot undo a system restore when it's done in safe mode. I want to fix this issue permanently, so I can do system restore in normal mode like it should normally be.

n Norton products, it is the tamper prevention that stops system restore. Check to see if Avira also has a tamper prevention component that may be causing the issue.

Like another user suggested on this thread, I unticked the Block autostart function from avira but it didn't help. Before I switched to windows 7 I had vista together with avira for a couple of years and system restore was working without having to change anything in avira's settings.

Now, I don't see any tamper prevention component (or something similar) in avira. There is a "protect files and registry entries from manipulation" option but I believe this should be on. Avira should be able to recognize when a windows system restore is taking place. To my opinion, SR is a function for protection as well, and it should be complementary to any security software. (And that includes Norton that is commonly sold together with windows OS.)

#15 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

I uninstalled avira antivirus, created a new restore point manually, and tried to do a system restore, which again it failed giving the following message:

Posted Image

So, it is not the antivirus either. Of course I can not start uninstalling all my programs one by one, creating restore points and going through all the (failed) process of SR, until I find what is causing the problem. It might not even be a program that is causing it, but a wrong setting. So I need some inspired ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users