Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Adding A User To Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jvnn

jvnn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:29 AM

I'm building a machine for my wifes office.
I loaded 2000, sp4, all my drivers, winzip, zone alarm, norton, got all the updates from MS, put in office 2000.
Now I switch the machine to "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
I've got the administrator account and the primary user I put in when installing windows (ellen) working fine.
Now when I add an account for her office mate (kim), I get the following when I try to log in "Windows cannot copy file c:\document and settings\default user\templates\wordpfct.wpg to location c:\document and settings\kim\templates\wordpfct.wpg. Contact your network administrator."
Sometimes the file that it cannot copy varies, but otherwise the error repeats as many times as I try.

So I have fooled around a bunch to try to get this with no luck:
-delete and re-create kim account
-under admin create kim folder with all subfolders (tried copy of ellen and copy of default user)
-tried above and explicitly give all permissions to every user to the folder
-turned off user names and passwords and repeat folder creation, then turn on user names and passwords.

Now I'm having trouble coming up with more things to try.

Thanks!! - Joel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

I am having similar trouble with the President of the Company's PC (!!!)

For now, everything works, so I'm letting it go for a (short)while(the PC he is using right now is only a replacement, so it's not THAT big of a deal). It's annoying to seee such a message. I can't quite remember what the fix was. I think the reason I'm seeing the message is that I insstalled Office 2k on an admin user account on the directory, rather than on the local admin account.

I could swear I've seen something similar before and I hope it will just take a little fumbling to get it fixed - but for now, I'm too busy(!!!)

I'll let you know if I get it fixed before anyone else posts, but it could be a couple of days.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:26 PM

Have you tried setting Kim with admin rights to see if it works?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 jvnn

jvnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:06 PM

Thanks Acklan! That did the trick.
Once I got kim logged on I could reduce her back to standard user privileges and things are basically working.

A few things that arent working!?!?!:
-Settings won't stick on windows explorer folder options.
- can't change the wallpaper from solid blue yucckk.

But, the office applications work so that will get us by for now.

Thanks!
- Joel

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:01 AM

I'm glad I could have been of some help.
I'll look into those other problems.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:58 PM

Use the administrator account to make global changes, add software that you want shared in all accounts, etc, not user accounts which do not carry the same permissions.

User accounts will make changes such as Win Explorer settings, additions or deletions from the start menu, wallpaper, etc, just for their own accounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users