Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CIDUtility-MUD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tanglefoot

tanglefoot

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

Hello again

All of a sudden I have this thing showing in my quick launch taskbar. It's an icon that reads "CIDUtility-MUD". What is this and is it a bad thing or what? I can't delete it or open it. It just is there and as far as I know does nothing, but as with most things that suddenly appear on your screen, it is usually not good. I'm suspecious of it and I've researched this on the web including Microsoft and there is nothing about it that I could find.
Does anyone know what the heck CIDUtility-MUD is and how to get rid of it.

Tanglefoot

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2010 - 08:08 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:29 AM

I find indications it could be the process udcidutil.exe which can be valid for a USB Video device, but has also been found to be a malware file.

I will flag your topic to see if the Moderation team think it should be transferred to the Am I Infected? forum.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 tanglefoot

tanglefoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

Hello

I connected a USB SEE2 xtreme so I could utilize two monitors, could that be what this CIDUtility-MUD is? I also have Norton 360, AVG antmalware, and Windows Defender for protection and I run a comprehensive scan every day and a quick scan twice daily.

Tanglefoot.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

The Tritton USB SEE2 xtreme does come up as being from the Magic Control Technology Corporation who sign the legitimate udcidutil.exe utility. So it looks to me like using that device would explain its presence.

Of course any executable can be infected, but if your scans come up clean that's reassuring. Are you still using the SEE2? I would imagine there should be an uninstall for its drivers in Add/Remove Programs, or on the Start menu. If so, I'd expect doing the uninstall would eliminate the CIDUtility-MUD.

If you're still using it, and udcidutil.exe does appear as a process in Task Manager, it is Superantispyware that flags it as a potential malware lurk. You might like to see if the free SAS clears it as OK. Another excellent scanner is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

If you're content it is benign, please indicate and I'll ask for the topic to be relocated from the AII forum or closed/marked resolved so we don't add to the Malware Team's load.

Edited by Platypus, 22 November 2010 - 06:34 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 tanglefoot

tanglefoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hello Platypus

I installed Malwarebytes AntiMalware and ran a scan which reported negative on malware. I think with the four antimalware programs I run presently, I'm most likely uninfected, I think, I hope.

I believe this issue can be marked resolved.

Thank you

Tanglefoot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users