Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't uninstall game

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:42 AM

Hi, I can't uninstall my 'Civilisation' game.
Strangely, it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove listings.
There's an 'uninstall' icon in the game folder but when I click it nothing happens.
I've searched the game disk and readme but there's no mention of 'uninstall'
Any suggestions how I can get rid of it?
I'm Win XP, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:09 AM

Hi, I can't uninstall my 'Civilisation' game.
Strangely, it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove listings.
There's an 'uninstall' icon in the game folder but when I click it nothing happens.
I've searched the game disk and readme but there's no mention of 'uninstall'
Any suggestions how I can get rid of it?
I'm Win XP, thanks.

Please ensure to have your data well backed up before proceeding, and of course, proceed at your own risk:

Here's what was found from the Firaxis Hotline:

Open My Computer then open the Local Disk (C:)
Open the program files folder.
Click on the tools menu then choose folder options
Click on the view tab and tick the box labelled "show hidden files and folders". Press OK
Open the installshield installation information folder
Search for a folder named {CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3BF-D6E01F4112E8}
Right click on the folder and choose rename. Press the End key on the keyboard and type the word OLD. Press the enter key
Insert the Civilization IV install CD and open My Computer. Right click on the CD drive and choose explore,
Locate the setup.exe file and double click.

This will replace and overwrite any missing components that were preventing the game from being uninstalled normally
Source(s):
1-866-219-9839

I have also found this very helpful solution HERE.

Remember that if you're going to be making any changes to the registry, then ensure to have a backup.

A good tool for doing such is Erunt, http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm .

Beginners Guides The Registry Backups, Repairs, and Protection - PCSTATS.com - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=263&page=4

Demystifying the Windows Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/#backup

How to backup the Windows XP Registry - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

Let me know how you got on :busy:
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:32 AM

Thanks, but I couldn't find this line in my hidden files and folders- {CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3BF-D6E01F4112E8}

I think that's for Civ 4.

I forgot to mention, mine is Civ 3.

Do you know the line for Civ 3?

#4 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:01 AM

This is what someone said on THIS blog:

do you still have your install package or CD of this game? run the install program and select an option of remove/uninstall, i remember that was what i did to get rid of this game. if fails still, try perfect uninstaller, this app helps you completely uninstall the game as long as you can locate the path of it.

These guys HERE also seem to know how to uninstall CIV3.

Hope it helps.

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:31 AM

Thanks guys, tried 4 more things, but none helped-
1- Revo Uninstaller-- it couldn't "see" Civ 3 on my system, it listed everything else except Civ 3.
2- Perfect Uninstaller---- ditto ----
3- Inserted the Civ 3 disk but only the "Install" option came up, no option for "uninstall"
4- Tried installing the game again over the first one, but was blocked, a warning message said "uninstall old game before installing new"

So I'm being held in check so far, and I'm reluctant to try some sort of (gulp) registry-tweaking because I'm not so hot techy-wise.
Any more suggestions? I don't like the thought of it sitting there taking up a big chunk of my precious hard disk space and thumbing its nose at me.

#6 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:41 AM

Perform an Advanced/Deep search on your system with the keyword 'Civilisation' and delete what you find related to the game.

The registry way is not so different. But we'll leave that for now, and attempt next time if you're still having difficulties.

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:56 AM

Wait! Wait! I think its gone!
I pointed Revo Uninstaller at it by typing its path (C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete) into the search box, and Revo swung smoothly into a scan and came up with a long list of Civ 3-related stuff, so I selected 'delete all' and the whole caboodle went.

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't inadvertently delete something I shouldn't have, or messed up the registry, but at least my PC hasn't crashed yet..:)

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 21 November 2010 - 07:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users