Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Outlook Express Email Message Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oldsoldier

oldsoldier

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:53 AM

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have made a backup copy of my Outlook Express email message files using the method - TOOLS - OPTIONS - MAINTENANCE FOLDER - STORE FOLDER - SELECT FOLDER OPTION - PRESS CTRL+COPY - START RUN - OPEN BOX CLICK CTRL+V - EDIT MENU SELECT ALL - EDIT MENU SELECT COPY - ON EMPTY SPACE ON DESKTOP CREATE FOLDER - OPEN FOLDER - EDIT MENU CLICK PASTE.

The content of the folder is in -

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\New Mail Backup 2001120

I intend to open the folder and save its content to a disk with Nero.

QUESTIONS -

1. To where should I download and install the content of the mail backup disk after my computer has been gutted and re-jigged.

2. Should my ISP be installed in my computer before I download and install the content of the mail backup disk ?

Yours sincerely

oldsoldier

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:08 PM

Wow oldsoldier,
I am really impressed by your effort to backup your email. I am way to lazy to do what you did. I have a freebie download called, OEBackup. It backs up any messages you have stored in folders (including sent messages and deleted messages - I think). More importantly, it also backs up your Address Book. It can be scheduled to run periodically. It has saved me a ton of work.

I have a bunch of hard drives, either actual or virtual. I save to one (any one) which doesn't have my OS (Windows XP) on it. I recently had to re-install XP. Good old HAL.DLL got spooky for the 6th time in 2 years. I ended up reformatting the drive XP lives on, but there on my D: drive were all my OE files. I had to reload OEBackup and direct it to my backup folder, but it restored all my folders (and I keep almost everything). Then I imported my address book from my backup file. It was slick. I recommend it.

If you think it will work for you, give it a Google.
KermitD
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

#3 oldsoldier

oldsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:25 AM

Thank you KermitD. I may have to take your advice.

I am still hoping that someone will tell me where to download and install, from a Nero disc, the copied Outlook Express e-mails. Copying and pasting the content is not difficult if you follow the procedure outlined in my query. I learned how to do it from an earlier Bleeping Computer question and I have renewed my Mail Backup folder a number of times. Soon I will need to know how to download and install what I have saved. A friend is going to re-jig my computer and he suggests next week, so time is running out.

It may be an elementary question, but I do not know the answer to it.

When I go to Store Folder and select the folder location, I get this -

c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application C81F-33D8-4A32-9DDC-2C69C44234CE}\Microsoft|Outlook Express.

When I am ready to install from the Nero disc, do I browse and select c:\Documents and Settings and install there?

Or, do I go along the path and select Application C81F-33D8-4A32-9DDC-2C69C44234CE}\Microsoft|Outlook Express ?

I cannot see a back-slash between Application and C81F etc. Application is at the right hand end of the select folder location box, and the long string of digits etc appears when I move my cursor along it to make the rest of the path appear. There does not seem to be a back-slash.

Or, do I go further along the path and select Outlook Express and install there ?

Or, would it be simpler to print all of my e-mails and keep them in book-form for future reference ? I have seriously thought of doing that.

Yours sincerely

oldsoldier

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:38 AM

I am not sure this is going to answer your question, but I want to add some info to this thread as what I want to say may help others who will read it.

I have recently downloaded and test a great little program for backing up Outlook Express. It is called OE Backup Wizard and is available HERE. It supports Outlook Express 5.0, 5.01, 5.5, and 6.0. It will not support Outlook.

Also below is some general info regarding backing up OE: (I don't remember where I originally got this info so I can not properly give credit for it)
~~~~~~~
How do I back up my Outlook Express?

To back up your mail and news accounts settings:

1. Click Accounts on the Tools menu.

2. Select an e-mail or news account and click the Export button.

3. Select a location for Outlook Express to save the exported file. Its three-letter extension should be IAF.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for every e-mail and news account.

To restore your accounts:

1. Click Accounts on the Tools menu.

2. Click the Import button and Browse to the previously saved IAF file.

To back up your address book:

1. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.

2. Select Text File (Comma Separated Values) and then click the Export button.

3. Browse to your desired location and type a name for the exported file. The file extension should remain CSV.

To restore your address book:

1. On the File menu, click Import, and then click Other Address Book.

2. Select Text File (Comma Separated Values) and then click the Import button.

3. Browse to locate the previously saved CSV file.

To back up your mail folders:

1. Click Options on the Tools menu.

2. On the Maintenance tab, click the Store Folder button.

3. Press the TAB key to highlight the store folder path, then press CTRL+C to copy it to the clipboard.

4. Close Outlook Express.

5. Click Run on the Start menu.

6. Press CTRL+V to paste the store folder path, and then click OK.

7. Copy all mail folder DBX files as well as the Folders.DBX file to your backup media. It is not necessary to copy newsgroup DBX files as these cannot normally be imported. It is essential that you include Folders.DBX in your backup.

To restore your mail folders:

1. Copy the backup copies of your DBX files to a new empty folder on your hard disk.

2. In Outlook Express click Import on the File menu, then click Messages.

3. Select Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and click Next.

4. Select Import mail from an OE6 store directory and click OK.

5. Browse to the folder with your backup DBX files and click Next.
~~~~~~~
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 oldsoldier

oldsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:42 AM

Albert Frankenstein's small OEBackup programme worked perfectly.

However, something puzzles me. I learned how to backup Emails, using that procedure outlined in my original query, from Bleeping Computer. Someone had asked how it was done and I copied and kept the reply for future reference. I didn't make a note of who had asked the quesion but the date was near to 8.8.2005. I have searched for it but cannot find it. What puzzles me is this. Why did noone at Bleeping Computer explain how to reinstall the backed up Emails in the desktop folder, into Outlook Express ? The two replies I received ignored the folder and suggested using small internet backup programmes. The big guns of Bleeping Computer were strangely quiet.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:13 PM

Everyone who gives advice here is a volunteer. No-one knows everything and sometimes the person advising you is mistaken or just having one of those days when they don't explain things very well. Ultimately it's up to you whether you accept advice that's freely given.
The Moderators work very hard here to ensure no bad advice gets out but if you want a warranty then I'd suggest you go to a professional.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 oldsoldier

oldsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:03 AM

Rimmer,

I think that you have misunderstood me and that your last sentence is unfair. I was puzzled because the excellent explanation how to back up Outlook Express E-mails to a desktop folder was not followed up, when requested, with an explanation how to reinstall the backup from that folder. That seemed strange. No offence was intended.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:40 PM

I was puzzled because the excellent explanation how to back up Outlook Express E-mails to a desktop folder was not followed up, when requested, with an explanation how to reinstall the backup from that folder.

Personally I did not directly answer your question because I am not familiar with that method of backing up OE. At first glance it did not appear to be the best method. So I offered a couple of more mainstream alternatives, one of which apparently worked ok for you, glad for that! :thumbsup:

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 13 December 2005 - 06:42 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users