Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes black and wavy- Video Card Bad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 laterali

laterali

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:08 PM

I have an ATI RADEON HD 4670 vid card that I've had for about a year and a half. Recently when starting up any game, the screen will go black, and lines will go up and down the screen, like those old tv sets. It only happens when starting games. I've noticed that if there is a way to change the resolution of the game before starting it, it will fix itself. If there is no way, I have to restart my computer and basically clear the info the game had stored for my computer to get it to work again. If I ALT-TAB out of the game, the desktop is fine, it only seems to happen when starting up games. And it doesn't happen all the time, it's become a 50-50 chance that it'll work.

Is it possible that my video card is dying, I have updated drivers for it, the newest catalyst. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm adding an attached screenshot of what I see when it happens.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

I've had for about a year and a half

in that time have you cleaned and dust from or check you cards fan

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 laterali

laterali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

yep, I clean about every 2 weeks. I've also installed 2 case fans, and I clean out the dust on a regular basis.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:23 AM

try removing the card and make sure contacts are clean [i use contact cleaner or a white eraser ,what ever is handy at the time ]and then reinstall the card

#5 Socratesx

Socratesx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hi,

It is possible that the card is dying. You see when you run the games the card increases its clock and RAM frequency to keep up with the 3d settings and demand of the game. The artifacts that you got in your display shoes clearly that is a card issue. But there is also a possibility that the problem is not caused form the card itself but from your PSU. If the PSU fails to provide the required voltage to the card when you run the games, then it can result to this. IF it is possible check with a spare PSU if the problem persists.
My Blog for Computer Beginners : Buy a New Computer
My Rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6 | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz | Video Card: Sapphire ATI 4870x2 |
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 | Hard Drives: 4xSeagate 7200.12 2TB | OS: Win 7 x64 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

#6 laterali

laterali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:25 PM

I pulled it out and cleaned it real good. Put it back in, and it's still happening. One new development is I changed my desktop's resolution. I had it at 1920 X 1080. And for some reason the card is unable to play games at that resolution, so I play at 1280 X 720. So I changed my desktop resolution to 1280 X 720 and it's hardly happening at all now. It's gotta be a problem with the card. Maybe it's just getting old. It runs the worst on Call of Duty Black Ops. I'd say 95% of the time I get the distorted display problem when starting that game.

I thought about replacing the PSU, since I don't think it's good enough, though I bought this mid range vid card cause it was good enough to play most games on high quality without having to shell out for higher performance parts. Looks like that came back to haunt me.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:09 AM

i think this little review say it all basically you get what you pay for when it come to performance ,and you had the resolution it set way to high.Good luck
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4670-review/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users