Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shine.exe Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mame

Mame

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:16 AM

I had the shine.exe virus on my computer. It's a Windows XP Home Edition. I removed it with the Wintasks 5.0 Professional software. This virus was keeping me from getting an internet connection. I have a cable modem. I can ping and get a reply to outside web addresses. But can not get to the internet by clicking on Internet Explorer. Any suggestions??? The computer is only a year old. It's a Dell Dimension 2400.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicky

Nicky

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:43 AM

I have pasted this from the symantec site

To delete the value that the virus added to the registry:

CAUTION: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before you make any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the keys that are specified. Read the document How to make a backup of the Windows registry for instructions.

1. Click Start, and click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
2. Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
3. Navigate to the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
4. In the right pane, delete the value

Shine %windir%\shine.exe /Trigger
5. Exit the Registry Editor.

However a scan by Housecall may get rid of it

#3 Mame

Mame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:48 AM

Thanks...I did check the registry and it is not in there. I will try that Housecall that you were talking about.

#4 Mame

Mame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:10 AM

I have an update to this.

I ended up re-configuring Windows XP. I got everything running good and was able to get an internet connection. I did this from my home, hooked up to my cable modem. I had no problems connecting to the Internet. After I installed everything and verified it had Internet access, I shut it down and turned it off so I could take the computer back to its owner. Once I hooked it back up to the owner's cable modem and turned it on, there was no Internet connection again. I think this may be a problem with the cable modem. We have the same cable company, so I'm not sure why it worked on mine, but will not work on the owner's. Does anyone else think it may be the modem? The cable company told the computer's owner that they see a good connection and that it is the computer that has the problem.

Any ideas? Or can you verify that it most likely is the cable modem? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users