Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White screen while doing anything GPU related.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MarkGG88

MarkGG88

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hey folks. I started having this issue just today, I was playing Starcraft II when suddenly my screen started distorting(showing some sort of pixelated imagery, square like stuff) and then went all white.

I could still hear the game in the background, the system didn't crash. After like a few seconds it went back to normal and I could finish the match i was playing and exited Starcraft after that.It didn't happen for a long time then it hit again after I started playing one of my HD videos. So apparently whenever I do something GPU intensive this happens.

To make sure I launched StarCraft again and indeed, the white screen occurs.

I have a 2 years old laptop, everything was fine until today when I started experiencing this issue. It could be that my laptop is getting old but it didn't show any signs of it earlier, especially since there were no crashes of any sorts, so I'm not sure what to think.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

Possible overheating...

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 MarkGG88

MarkGG88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

Ok, here is the report. I'm kind of a noob in this sort of thing so can't make much out of it...

Posted Image

Edit: Btw, I took this while system was idle(not gaming)

Edited by MarkGG88, 20 November 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

Start your game and post another screenshot from SIW after couple of minutes of playing.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 MarkGG88

MarkGG88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Here is during playing.

Posted Image

Got the white screen twice, but other then that the game kept running just fine, and there was no crashes at all. Kinda odd I think.

Edited by MarkGG88, 20 November 2010 - 10:30 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

I think, you're overheating.
Your CPU max temp is listed at 100C, but your CPU reaching 93C and your GPU reaching 105C is too hot in my opinion.

Try to get a can of compressed air (do NOT use anything else) and clean well all vents.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 MarkGG88

MarkGG88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

Ok I'll look into that, thanks for the fast replies.

One more question though. If it is indeed overheating, wouldn't the system shut itself down? Thats what I understand should happen in case of overheating generally. All I get is this white screen for a couple of seconds, then everything goes back to normal. And also the fact that the game doesn't slow down at all makes me confused about the whole thing.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:25 PM

It'd shut down, if CPU exceeds certain temperature, but it may white screen, when it gets close.
You also mentioned "showing some sort of pixelated imagery, square like stuff"

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users