Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Internet via another computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chuckchuck

chuckchuck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

Greetings all!

I have a computer in my basement (runs XP) which is dedicated to running some 'home studio' recording software, and this computer is not hooked up to the Internet. However, I have to register some software for this computer via the Internet, so what I want to do is bring this computer upstairs, somehow temporarily tether it to my upstairs computer (running Windows 7) that does have Internet access, register the software, then return the basement computer to its unconnected basement state.

And I have a confession to make: After wasting a good chunk of my summer trying (and failing) to get my new laptop to wirelessly communicate with my new printer, I have come to the conclusion that wireless networks and routers are simply, mysteriously but undeniably, beyond my capability. Sad to have to admit that, but there is no point in denying the obvious.

So I am wondering if this temporary internet access may be achieved in a wired fashion that does not involve the purchase of a router.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

How is your computer that is connected to the internet connected? IE. Through wireless or is it connected with ethernet? If you are using ethernet to get connected then just bring the downstairs one upstairs and connect it via ethernet.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 franklin101

franklin101

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

Usually, you need a wireless router to communicate with a wireless printer. You can unplug the cable out of the modem, plug that into your studio computer, activate the stupid activation(see DRM only causes problems), then bring it back down. If it's one of those really bad programs, which require activation every time you use it, then try finding a cracked version( sorry if that is against forum rules- I am a newb), but maintain your legit version, so they actually lost nothing.

A better way would probably to get a wireless modem(really cheap now), and a few wifi adapters.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

^that is way too much work.

What I do is I have the printer downstairs attached to a desktop which is on the network via ethernet.

Then on my wireless pc's I add the printer through network printers and I can print from any computer as long as the desktop is on.

#5 franklin101

franklin101

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

Yup printer sharing does work. The thing is that his downstairs computer has no internet( its probably not connected to any network)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users