Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rdf8585

rdf8585

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:09 AM

I think my laptop needs an upgrade. I don't do much more than very basic tasks (browsing, IM, mp3 playback, word processing) but my Dell Inspiron 1100 can't handle that. The culprit might be the very weak processor, a 2 ghz Celeron with a small 128 KB L2 cache and a 133 MHZ FSB. That processor just seems insufficient these days - I bought it in mid 2003.

For 650, S/H included, I could get:

1.73 ghz Pentium M ... 2 MB L2 cache, 533 mhz FSB
512 MB DDR2 RAM (expandable to 2 GB, current laptop only to 1 GB)
40 GB HD, 5400 RPM (current is 30 GB, 4200 RPM... I store little. That 30 GB is 90% empty.)
15.1 WXGA display (current is only a 14 incher, and not widescreen)
Intel GMA 900 (current is Intel Extreme Graphics 1)

So is that a good config and price? And more importantly, is it worth the upgrade?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:11 PM

What is it that makes you say your current laptop can't handle the tasks you're doing now? That particular machine was designed exactly for the uses you described, and you may not be getting that much more for your money by going to another low cost machine. Unless you're encoding a whole lot of .mp3 files, I honestly can't see where the processor hit is coming in for what you're doing. Ultimately, only you can decide if it's worthwhile upgrading.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:55 AM

I think my laptop needs an upgrade. I don't do much more than very basic tasks (browsing, IM, mp3 playback, word processing) but my Dell Inspiron 1100 can't handle that.

From what you descried you have more than ample computer. The good news is you should be fine with what you have.
What verison of Windows are you running? Are you current on your MicroSoft Window's updates? Do you have he lastest service pack install? Are you up to date and regularly running your antivirus and antispyware?
I would lean towards a software issue before spending money on hardware. If you are not current or just not using antivirus and antispyware please let us know. We can recommend excellent freeware that will improve the preformance of your computer.
Hope to hear from you soon.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:52 PM

That's a good deal for $650. Your 2GHz Celeron should be plenty. If you bought it in 2003, I'm assuming you have at least 128MB of RAM. If not, the easiest way to speed up performance(although not the cheapest) is to add memory. I have a 500 MHz Celeron desktop with 288 MB of RAM and it does all the things you mentioned quickly and easily.

It sounds like the cheapest way for you to speed up performance would be to do some spyware and virus scans, and if those come up clean, remove unused programs and reduce the programs that start at boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users