Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guest Entries In Security Log.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lexus123

Lexus123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:58 AM

Hi all,

I am running Windows XP Home Edition with Norton Internet Security connected to broadband.

I looked in my security log last week in Event Viewer and found about 10 entries for guest logging on and off every 100 of a second the last event is always a logoff.

The guest account is disabled and I have no warnings of an intrusion's in the Norton Firewall what can this be.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:21 PM

Install either Sygate 5.4 (I personally use) or Zone Alarm. But not both. This will allow you to see which programs are accessing the internet from your computer. I suspect a virus worm or trojan.
I would recommend you run one if not all of the following free scans..

Trendmicro's Housecall
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan

Here is a full list of software I recommend you use.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan

Utility
cCleaner
Everest home (hardware and software information)
(Diagnostic and system resource)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
www.bootdisk.com

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Sygate 5.4 (I personally use)
[url="http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10434530.html?tag=lst-0-4"]Zone Alarm

Best of all... they are free.

Edited by acklan, 28 November 2005 - 02:23 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:38 PM

If the scan's come up clean - I'd say it was an attempt to access your system from the web that failed.

See if you can figure out the IP that it came from and notify the ISP that has it. (FWIW - when my FTP site was contacted like this - I posted the offending IP's in my welcome message (and blocked them) - soon the attacks dwindled down to almost nothing)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users