Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blank screen... cpu fried?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gamecock

gamecock

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

i called asus to get some tech support about my ss hdd. i was having a problem with the computer not going into os... anyways... i tell the tech dude about my computer always alerting me about my cpu fan... tells me to press F1 to over-ride my cpu fan controller. i found out that i can connect my cpu fan, and all of my tower fans straight to the mb. i figured i couldnt because all of my fan connects are 3 and the mb is 4 pin. i know im an idiot. anyways... i've always ran my cpu fan directly to my power supply... i can control the speed of the fan straight from the fan. never had any problems besides having to click F1.

anyways... im on the phone with asus. buddy tells me to disconnect my cpu fan from the power supply and to connect it directly to th mb. i have a hard time connecting it because it's a tight. a minte later... i get the freaking cpu fan switch connected. he tells me to cut the computer off and press F8 to get to bios. i did what he said and... my screen is blank. i notice that an led is lit up on the mb by the video card... a bright red led lite... no flashing... just on. now i have never had a problem with my video card. my current system is as follows...

mb- asus P7P55D-E
cpu- intel I5-750
hdd- intel solid state 40gb
video card- MSI radeon HD 5770
memory- corsair 8gb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:51 AM

A steady LED indicator usually means something is powered and operating OK, but the manual should confirm the meaning. If you connected the CPU fan while the system was running, that can damage the motherboard. But I wonder if a static zap has just muddled the CMOS settings, causing an unbootable state - have you tried clearing the CMOS with the I/O panel button?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 gamecock

gamecock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

A steady LED indicator usually means something is powered and operating OK, but the manual should confirm the meaning. If you connected the CPU fan while the system was running, that can damage the motherboard. But I wonder if a static zap has just muddled the CMOS settings, causing an unbootable state - have you tried clearing the CMOS with the I/O panel button?

fortunntly, i got this thing to boot. i made a simple mistake of plugging my cpu fan into the case fan connects on the mb... everytime i would turn the system on i would et an alert saying "CPU FAN FAILUE" press F1 to continue. my dumbass thought i had to buy 4 pin t 3 pin molex connectors because all of my fans were 3 pin and the mb connects were 4 pin. tis simple mistake alone cause my system to act weird. now all the fans work, cpu is fine... and my ss hdd boots right up no problems. simple mistakes can have serious consequences lol

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

Glad you got it sorted! Simple things can sure trip us up at times...

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users