Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Utility softwares installation?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Goodspeed

Goodspeed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

On my desktop computer running XP MCE it's HDD is 290 GB.......2 primary partitions C & D........C is active & size is 80 GB where windows Off SPs, updates, utility softwares are installed.

I have 2 questions:

1. Can I resize it using bootable DD CD to lesser size like 30 GB.........if yes will it be error free & how do I do it........like perform CHKDSK after resizing etc?

2. I have installed various utility applications in the C drive........would it be smart to uninstall & reinstall them in primary D.........what are the benefits of installing utilities in D........should it be a custom install while installing them & giving them the path directory of D instead of C.........or do I need to perform a format & clean install?

What are the benefits of installing them on another partition?

Hoping to hear from you as always,

Regards!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:57 AM

Hello,

If I understood you, you want to resize the partition to be smaller after installation of operating system?
That can't be done, you make a partitions during installation of system, then you define the numbers of partition, and their sizes!

About your second question, in my opinion it is better to install all utilities to D and to left only sistem on C! It is because the system will work faster as time goes by, and registry is more free!

#3 Goodspeed

Goodspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:39 AM

Thanks for your reply.

1. OS & apps after complete installation can be resized using utilities like Disk Director boot CD I think?

2. What exactly do you mean by system in C & all utilities in D.........system= windows + SPs + Updates + MS Off?

Regards!

#4 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:01 AM

Hi,

About disk resizing, i still think it can't be done, but let's hear some experienced users

About utilities, i install only sistem on C, and leave space for windows update
All others programs go to D, such as applications, games, programs, etc.

Hope this will help, but wait to hear from others

Regards,
Max

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:12 AM

How much free space exists on the C: partition? With third party partitioning software operating from bootable media, re-sizing of partitions can be done, but there is always a possibility of something going wrong. Personally I find it hard to see enough benefit to the process to justify trying it. What are you hoping to achieve from making the change?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Goodspeed

Goodspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:13 AM

Thanks again,

I have done resizing before.

But I really dont understand the benefit of installing some on C & some on D partition?

Regards!

#7 Goodspeed

Goodspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:16 AM

IF I resize C it will to create space for a dual boot.

C is 80 GB used space is 17 GB.

#8 Goodspeed

Goodspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:20 AM

Plat nothing goes wrong if you do it the correct way.

The only thing I don't get is that there is no advantage at least for me of installing some on C & rest on D partitions.

#9 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:34 AM

Benefits are that when you install all on D sys will work like first thay much more time
But if you install all on C, sys will be slower and slower as time goes by
Registry will be filled faster when programs are on C then on D
Hope u now understand

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:44 AM

Registry will be filled faster when programs are on C then on D

Can you explain why that would be so please Max? The same registry entries would be required for the software to operate, they would just point to the D: partition instead of the C: partition.

Edited by Platypus, 21 November 2010 - 04:19 AM.

#11 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:55 AM

I don't know how to explain that, I just know it's like that
I see it that way
So i said, to wait for experienced users to explain this, and to recommened best way!

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:17 AM

If I resize C it will create space for a dual boot.

C is 80 GB used space is 17 GB.

OK, that is a reasonable cause to think of re-sizing partitions, if you do not wish to use a second hard drive. If you opted for a 30GB size, 13GB of free space is workable for XP. If you also un-installed some of the utilities and re-installed them on the existing D: partition (choosing a custom install as you said), it would free up some further space on C: How much depends on their size.

Plat nothing goes wrong if you do it the correct way.

The only thing I don't get is that there is no advantage at least for me of installing some on C & rest on D partitions.

Although re-sizing partitions will usually work OK, no-one can guarantee that, which is why it's always wise to warn someone of the possibility. Forums I've been on over the years have answered folks' call for help after suffering a failure that has damaged the file system. Since you hadn't mentioned previous experience, I felt it best to mention the risk, rather than have you be disappointed later if you had a problem.

Since you also hadn't mentioned plans for dual booting, it was hard to see what benefit I could point you to in moving software. Recovering some space on the system partition is the easiest to identify. It is possible that their startup time could actually be slightly longer that at present, as they will be located physically further away on the drive, so the heads will have to seek a bit further, but there's not going to be much in it.

Edited by Platypus, 21 November 2010 - 04:20 AM.

#13 Goodspeed

Goodspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:31 AM

Plat thanks for replying.

At the moment the total size of C Primary active is 80 GB & D Primary NTFS is 210 GB & after all installations on C shall be around 22 GB.

What in your experienced view is the amount needed for XP, keeping in view that its a single drive with partitions & may be a dual boot with Ubuntu later.

To summarize what approx should be the size allocated to install XP/Vista on a drive partition.........40 GB approx?

#14 Goodspeed

Goodspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:38 AM

OR would you advice me to keep a single OS on 1 drive/machine..........since have only 1 internal main drive on both machines......... Instead of a dual boot install Vista or Ubuntu on my other machine?

Cause the read/ write areas go farther down the drive making the other OS in a dual boot slow?

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:15 AM

As far as loading and operating speed of the OS itself goes, there should be no adverse effect from having the dual boot. When XP boots, it will disregard the Vista/Linux partition, and vice-versa.

The possible slower loading is for applications installed onto the D: drive compared to being on C: when they first start up. The drive has to go look on the D: partition, whereas before they were on C: closer to Windows. It's no biggie, and it's been happening anyway when you load or save a file presently stored on the D: partition, but you're used to it.

I think to have similar amounts of headroom, a Vista/Ubuntu installation probably wants about 5 or 6 GB more space than XP. I'd probably go for something like 35G for XP, 45G for the second OS. A drive starts to have space difficulties for things like defrag when free space gets down below about 15%

A possible advantage of having the different OSs on two computers is that you can have both running at the same time or in different locations, if that is ever likely to be useful.

Edited by Platypus, 21 November 2010 - 06:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users