Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer Files?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thecovester

Thecovester

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hello all, I'm currently trying to install a certain type of embeddable Linux for my old computer with Windows 98. At first, I was going to download the .zip file but I received difficulty when I tried to hook it up to the internet. Is there any way to directly transfer a file (about 50 mb) from my computer with Windows XP to the other computer with Windows 98? I know that XP has the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" but I don't think that it's compatible with Windows 98. Is it? Also, a CD won't work because the old computer's CD drive won't read anything. USB drive won't work because in order to get it to work I need to install the driver (from a CD.) Is it possible for me to plug the old computer's hard drive into the new computer, boot into XP, and have Windows XP copy the file? How would I do this?

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

EDIT: Just a mistake on my part-- On the thread description, it says "from windows 98 to XP." I meant to say it the other way around.

Edited by Thecovester, 20 November 2010 - 11:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

Hi Thecovester and welcome to the forum!

You want to transfer files from XP to 98 right?

Easiest way to do this is to take the hard drive out of the 98 system.
Then temporarily disconnect the power and IDE cable from the cdrom on the XP system and attach the drive to that.
(Assuming that the cd is IDE, which most are)
XP will read the fat32 partition on the hard drive no problem and you can easily copy over what you need
This way you dont have to mess with the jumper setings
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Thecovester

Thecovester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

Thank you, that's what I was thinking of doing. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to do something terribly bad to the hard drive.

Also, I have a question. The old computer is actually infected with a virus (vbs.haptime.etc if I can remember correctly) and I want to remove it. Also, I don't care if the virus tries to infect my computer; I trust my antivirus. The old computer's antivirus can detect the virus but it is unable to remove it. Would I be able to scan the hard drive with my antivirus and be able to remove it?

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

Yes, to a degree.
You can scan the files but not things that load into memory or the registry

I would suggest MalwareBytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware if you do not already have these.
They do not work with 98 but can be used in this method to scan files on a 98 system.

SpyBot Search and Destroy still works with 98.
Its one of the few left that do

#5 Thecovester

Thecovester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

Ok, thanks for all the help.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

Any time & good luck! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users