Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly installed programs won't open, old ones will

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hi, I just installed a new program (DVD FAB 8) and everything seemed fine. When I click on the icon to run it, the cursor activity thingy (little blue spinning circle) shows up as if something is about to happen, then it disappears and nothing happens.

This happened to another program recently too (Ralink Wireless Control Center), so it's not just this current one.

Programs that have already been installed for a while, are working fine.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, a very capable PC, and AVG free Antivirus (not windows security) is the only security running. That wasn't the case last week with other program though, I had uninstalled my AV to see if that was the issue... it wasn't).

I did install a new video card, that is the only change I made recently.

Any help ?

Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:44 PM

hi, just a thought ,try right clicking on the icon and choose run as administrator

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

Thank you.
I did try that... still does the same thing. :(

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:22 AM

if you are clicking on desktop icons to open the program ,try going to start and all programs and click the icon in there

#5 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:28 AM

if you are clicking on desktop icons to open the program ,try going to start and all programs and click the icon in there

Yes, and have even found the .exe files in the folders and tried there.
Tried running as Admin, etc, too.
Still nothing.

Thanks

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

sorry i have no solid answer ,i have had this happen to me before but forget actual fix ,but im sure i would have tried also reinstalling the program also as admin

#7 Andi Gjata

Andi Gjata

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:35 PM

Try this go to this web site (is the windows 7 compatibility center form micrososft) Windows 7 Compatibility

Search the software that you are using and see if the software is compatible in 64 or 32 bit.
Or if there are some other solutions like run the software in compatibility mode for (windows xp service pack 2 because is the OS more compatible with other programs and se if it works then FIRST VISIT THE WINDOWS 7 COMPATIBILITY CENTER!

Hope this helps, Best regard Andi Gjata.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users