Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Won't Install on New HP Notebook

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

Greetings!

Just got a pretty new HP G72 laptop as a gift! Awesome! Windows 7 Home Premium; Intel Pentium CPU P6 100 @ 200 GHz; 320 GB HDD; 6 GB Ram. However, there are a few problems.

AVG will not install. I have the paid version and it's my favorite AVG to use. Never had any problems with it. Bought a new license for it for the new computer and the installation fails every time. Googled it and tried everything anyone said worked for them, but nothing seems to work for this one. Have emailed AVG people and sent all the files and logs they asked for but haven't heard back yet - - they're backlogged with this problem, it seems. Was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it.

Also, this probably isn't the place to ask, but would anyone know what might be stopping the Alt+F4 command from working? Can't get it to close a window.

Is the Windows Security Essentials Program in Windows 7 enough to protect the PC til I can get AVG on it or should I stay offline until then?

Thanks for any input forthcoming!
S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hi S

This might just be a totally silly question but are you sure the AVG Installation Disc you have, will also install on a x64 system?
I know yours is, as you have 6GB of RAM.

Anyway, MSE is quite good and does a respectable job. I have it working along with Comodo, and they get on just fine :thumbup2:
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:22 AM

Did you get any error messages or error code while attempting to install AVG? If so, that could provide a clue as to determining the problem.

It's also possible that another installed security program may be blocking the installation of AVG's components. Installation may fail if you are not logged into a user account that has administrator permissions or if you have remnants of a previous anti-virus program still remaining on the computer. AVG's installer can detect incompatible or conflicting applications before installing itself and if it finds any the installation will fail. Since you have already contacted AVG support, it's probably best to wait for an official answer from them.

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free antivirus solution which provides real-time protection that guards against viruses and malicious software. This page provides a brief overview of features and related security links. MSE Support provides several How-to videos for installing, scanning and addressing a detected threat. MSE was originally developed as a scaled-down version of and replacement for Windows OneCare and was aimed at users who either could not or did not want to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Reviews:Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours and there is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or frequency. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always manually download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.

Before installation, Microsoft Security Essentials checks for a validated copy of Windows and will disable Windows Defender if installed since MSE provides protects against spyware. You also need to uninstall all other "Memory Resident" anti-virus applications before you can install MSE. See Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials for more information. If MSE is already installed and you try to install Defender afterwards, MSE will advise "Microsoft Client protection has been found. Please remove that product and rerun the setup".

If you are also using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware real-time protection, please read Section I here which addresses a possible freezing issue when running alongside MSE.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:24 AM

Hi, Folks! Thanks for your responses. I will wait to hear what AVG says. When it wouldn't install, I did install the security that came with 7 and it is running, so I guess I'm safe to use the net. I'm unfamiliar with the Windows Security program, but have used AVG quite a while with good results. I used the install file from the internet - I did order a disc when I bought the license a couple of weeks ago, but it still hasn't arrived. The error code was: 0xC0070643.

I got a laptop as a gift and bought the license for AVG when I got it - it was a Dell - - but it had a bad memory stick and I returned it for an exchange and the clerk asked me to look at the HP. I liked it, so I took it instead of another Dell. It's the first machine I've had with a 64 bit system. It came with 3 GB RAM but I upgraded to 6 that day. I'm very surprised the machine isn't nearly as fast as the Inspiron 1721 it replaced, which had only 3 GB of RAM.

Defender is disabled and I have Super Antispyware installed, but took it out of startup so it doesn't run unless I initiate it. The only security I installed that starts at boot up is SpywareBlaster.

Norton came installed on the unit, but I used the Norton Remover Tool first thing (Don't care for Norton, at all). Then attempted to install AVG before I put anything else on the system.

Do you know if the Win 7 AV is as good as AVG? And, oh, by the way, I am the only account other than 'Guest' and have full permissions as administrator.

I will read the links you sent, quietman7. Thanks again for your input!

S.

Edited by HomesickInTexas, 22 November 2010 - 01:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users