Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver R300

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vampiredog

vampiredog

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hi,

For several months now I have been having problems with my computers display. In the beginning it was only a slight problem...computer loading a bit slow, anything with a video or animated image/graphic would be a bit slow or freeze for a few seconds but it always recovered quickly. Then it started to get worse and worse. When I would shut down and restart, the display would be slow to come up but always "recovered" fairly quickly. There would be a bubble notice at the bottom that said "Display Drive R300 has stopped and has successfully recovered". Since it said it "recovered" I basically ignored it. Now the computer is all messed up. It takes way to long to load anything, getting onto the Internet is a nightmare, the computer freezes and never recovers. Control, Alt, Delete responds at a snails pace or never works to correct my "Not Responding" notices. I have had to result in turning the computer off manually too many times to mention and even when I restart I get no image at all. I know it is loading because I can hear the computer working but no image. This leads to multiple manual restarts until the computer decides it wants to show even my desktop. Even loading the desktop takes way too long....sometimes up to one half hour. I had issues before in which I have worked with you to resolve and through your suggestions I have installed and ran HiJack This, Malwarebytes, RKUnhooker, and Spybot. This made my computer faster for awhile, and I think it will be fine accept that now this problem with the Display Driver R300 is now such a huge headache that just recently it took me a day and a half before it decided to "show" any display at all. Like I said getting onto anything is awful. I have looked up this Display Driver R300 on other forums but no one had any real solutions, saying it was a Vista problem. Have you heard anything about this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks for all your help.
Candy
The ability to speak does not make one intelligent...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

We need more info here.
Desktop, or laptop?
Computer brand and model?
What video card do you have?
Did you try to start in Safe Mode to see, if you have same problem there?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 vampiredog

vampiredog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hi,

It is a Dell desktop Dimension C521 AMD 64 Athlon processor with a 128MB ATI Radeon X1300 video card. When in safe mode I will have small problems with viewing but not nearly as much or as high a level as when I'm not in safe mode.

Candy

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

Go to Dell's site, download new video driver.
Uninstall current one and install fresh one.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 vampiredog

vampiredog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

I've downloaded the new driver and have a shortcut on my desktop. I know how to uninstall the old driver....how do I install the new one?

Candy

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

Probably by double clicking on downloaded file, but...
As far, as I remember, Dell's site has instructions on the very same page, where you got your driver from. Check it before proceeding.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R160911.EXE.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R160911. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R160911 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R160911&SystemID=DIM_P4_C521&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=12416&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=6&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=215555

Edited by Broni, 20 November 2010 - 02:13 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 vampiredog

vampiredog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

Just wanted to add another note. I unzipped the file and it is now in a folder waiting (I guess) for me to do what I have to do. My question is, if I uninstall the old driver, how can I install the new one, because if I uninstall the old one won't my computer be blank because there is no video card to display anything?

Candy

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

No worries. Windows will use its own generic driver.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 vampiredog

vampiredog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:54 PM

Great! I also noticed that the one I downloaded was not the one you were talking about, it must have been the old one. ( I just went to the R1300 not the R1300 Pro that you have.) So I deleted that one and am now in the process of downloading the one that you suggested. I will finish with that, but need to leave for a family function. I will finish when I return. If I have any further questions I will post them later this evening or first thing tomorrow. You have been a tremendous help and I thank you!!

Candy

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users