Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using multiple operating systems.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bomblast

bomblast

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

I want to ask certain questions about using multiple operating systems on a single PC ( Windows XP and Windows 7) together.
1. Can I directly install windows 7 on my PC while I am having XP installed to have both of them on my PC?
2. Will having multiple OS affect the system performance or slow down the PC or have any other negative effect on my PC?
3. Suppose I get a virus on one of the OS, then can that virus spread to another windows also while one of them gets corrupted? Or if one of the windows gets crashed and if I am not able to start my PC with one windows, then can I start it using another PC?
4. Can I access files in one of the OS from another installed OS?
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

You can set up XP mode in Windows 7 http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8247-windows-xp-mode-install-setup.html
Or Dual Boot http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

You can also create two separate primary hard drive partitions, one for Windows 7, the other for XP, using Easeus partition manager, for example.

#4 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

I have a dual boot XP/Win 7 system. I loaded Win 7 on a separate drive. There are a few issues that you can run into. You will need a separate antivirus on both operating systems, which uses up two licences. One thing I ran into with Norton was a shared EFA file, that caused a disc check every time I booted, regardless of which O/S \ was using. This was solved by putting the free version of Comodo on the XP drive so that there were no shared files.

Since the operating systems are completely separate, there is no slow down in either one, other than XP has a normally slower boot time than Win 7.

Most infections prefer the C drive boot but some can and will travel. If you access an infected file on the other O/S, you will infect the one you are on.

Depending on how the dual system is set up and installed, you may be able to boot to the other. In my case, if XP will not boot, I can't get to Win 7 either without switching the drives.

I can access files on both operating systems from either one.

There is a lot of maintenance with a dual boot as both sides need to update antivirus and Windows, as well as Adobe and a myriad of other apps. It got to be pretty much of a nuisance.

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials with work on both OS's, and it's free http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users