Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BC's own Screensaver

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:03 PM

I realize that screensavers are no longer needed with the newer monitors. However, I remember the days when holes would be burned into the screens and ruining them over time. First, I am very reluctant to DL a Screensaver (SS) over the internet, they are chock full of malware, HJ and scumware. But, I do have a SS that's pretty good--it shows a calendar for one thing. I envision a SS that has a sticky note, updatable, appearance with a listing of the things neeing to be done-ie. update spybot-reconfigure whatever-check for new viruses in the wild-E-mail Grandma etc. I think if we had our own SAFE SS with some good graphics and some functionality (above), we could use them as a promo tool-new members get one free etc. Members could pay a dollar or two to help defray the cost. It seems to me that this could be "a good thing". There might just be such a thing as an "empty" SS program that could be gotten-where we would just modify it for our needs. Just babbling on--pls forgive me. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: babble-babble :inlove:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:13 PM

Not a bad idea but I would not even know where to start. Maybe this is a good idea for a contest?

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2004 - 10:26 PM

How would it be a contest grinler? Sounds cool???!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2004 - 12:41 PM

Not sure...people submit BC wallpapers and we top 1 or 2 or even 3 win a prize...something to consider.

#5 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2004 - 04:59 PM

Sounds like fun. What kind of software makes screensavers. I have no idea how to do that but it sounds fun to try. :flowers: :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2004 - 05:04 PM

I have no idea either :thumbsup:

#7 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 17 October 2004 - 05:38 PM

I may not know how to make screen savers, but I can tell you that there are a few programs that you can use your own pictures for a saver. I will see if I can find a link for it.

A good idea for a BC one could include some of the banners that I have seen in the past from here.

Maybe even flying signatures from our members could be made? Of course, with permission from the owners.

Just thinking out loud.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2004 - 08:14 PM

I have saw those! I know of a few programs that make screensavers...maybe like flash program. There not free though! Not many atleast
like:
http://www.xemico.com/groups/ssavers/
This one I think you add your pics:
http://www.blumentals.net/scrfactory/
Here is a free one like above I think!
http://www.dd2002.com/download.htm
Maybe it will help someone who knows....
CGM3

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 17 October 2004 - 11:29 PM

And at least a screensaver(s) from BC would be warranted free of spyware. Personally, I find screensavers a waste of CPU, but many folks seem to like them, and a little "free" advertising might not do BC any harm.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2004 - 09:19 AM

I will see if I can look into some free software that can make these ....i dont know the first thing about it myself either.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 08:15 AM

Sounds great! Yeah dont download many savers online. Full of junk!

#12 diggem

diggem

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:07 PM

Sounds like fun to me too, you guys seem to have some good brainstorming ideas about alot of stuff. YOU GO GUYS !!!!!! :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:
God Bless,
Diggem

#13 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:37 PM

Now I remember how it is done.

Download webshots, and even though you have the option to add some pictures from their library, you can also drag and drop any JPG into your album. Although there is a paid version, it is really for unlimited d/ls of their pictures. The free version, you can d/l any pic and use it for as long as you like as your screen saver.

Grinler, please check out the link and try it out. I do have Webshots currently installed, but I have the screen saver disabled.

As far as I can tell, as long as it is in jpg format, and it follows the recommended dimensions, it should work.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:00 AM

If we did this I would want to make the screensaver a standalone one rather than one that we would need webshots for.

This link has info on how to create screensavers:

http://shareware.about.com/library/weekly/...er-creators.htm

It also seems that Axialis Pro has a free 30 day trial.

#15 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:01 AM

If we did this I would want to make the screensaver a standalone one rather than one that we would need webshots for.

You are probably right. You would need permission from them, and after you told them your idea, they would probably would not like it. After all, we are defeating their purpose on making them money if we only use a feature in the free version. It is a nice feature that you can use any JPG image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users