Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mail problems after uninstalling BitDefender

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 marym

marym

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

I installed BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011 on two of three laptops. Both laptops got messed up to the point where I uninstalled the program. BOth computers run XP Pro. After uninstalling on one, I ran ccleaner and thought my problems were solved but now this laptop won't load my aol mail. On the second computer, I don't have ccleaner installed so I didn't run it, but all my mail is slow in loading or doesn't load at all. Neither computer has a restore date for a month ago either! I don't know why. I need these computers for school and I'm really in a bind. I would NEVER get BitDefender again!
By the way, I purchased the BitDefender CD and followed the directions carefully. After uninstalling, I downloaded Avast back on both laptops but running the AV and Malwarebytes didn't show any infections. I'm really stuck now. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

First off, the Staff here doesn't endorse the use of registry cleaners as they are basically ineffectual and can leave your computer inoperable it misused. The only reason that I would use ccleaner would be to clear out the temp files, and there are better programs for that.

Try running chkdsk c: /p

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 marym

marym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

I ran chkdsk c: /p as suggested on both laptops. What I got was a very quick black screen then back to my desktop screen. Nothing else happened. For some reason, I'm thinking my network got messed up somehow with BitDefender but can't be sure. When I tried a spare computer that was hardwired to my router, I had no problem getting my mail. The only problem with that computer is that it's old and after a little while, starts to rev up and shuts down. At this point, I'm not sure what's causing the problem but opening my internet browser pages and getting my mail has been slow most of the time. I checked and I have no connectivity problems though. I'm stumped.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

The computer that revs up and shuts down sounds like a overheating issue. One of the things that can cause this is a build up of dust. Try blowing out the computer with canned air.

What e-mail client are you using?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 marym

marym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

By default I'm set up for MS Outlook but I only use AOL or Optonline.

I also tried blowing out my computer but it still acts up. I just think the battery is old. But I really don't use that laptop anymore, it's the other two I'm having critical issues with. Opening my AOl and MSN browsers are still slow. They weren't like this a week or two ago.

Edited by marym, 20 November 2010 - 12:14 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

One thing that you can try is to do a System Restore. Choose a restore point prior to your installation of BitDefender.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

#7 marym

marym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

Unfortunately when I try to go back to a few weeks ago when the system was okay, System Restore only lets me go back about 10 days. I don't know why. Both laptops have this same problem with System Restore. I don't know why this is happening. I thought System Restore creates periodical restore points every so often.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

It depends on the size of the file that you have. It can be altered.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:37 AM

How did you uninstall BitDefender?

There are two methods. The first one is to use Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. The second is to use the BitDefender uninstall tool.

Are you getting an error message when you try to access your AOL mail? If so, what is the message?

Why did you run ccleaner?

#10 marym

marym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

I used Add/Remove programs to uninstall Bit Defender on both laptops.

AOL is slow loading and sometimes comes up with the message something like "experiencing technical issues, try again later."

I used CCleaner to see if it would help get rid of some file "clingers" as I call them, stuff that hangs around even after deleting programs or files. My one laptop does not have a lot of memory so I've removed unnecessary programs and moved my files and graphics to an external hard drive. Even after doing that, I have almost no hard drive space left and Bit Defender used up whatever I did have. So after removing Bit Defender, I got very little space back. I don't know why it's so full but that's another issue (it's 6 years old and came with something like 512mb memory if I'm not mistaken.) However my second laptop is only a few years old with plenty of space but still had problems with installing Bit Defender.
In any event, I doubt I'll get my money back from Bit Defender.

Since this morning, I've been able to connect to AOL much better on my newer computer with no slowdowns, but who knows what will happen later. My main concern was finding out if anyone else had the same problem after installing Bit Defender. I'll see if I can offer more specific issues later. In the meantime, thank you for your help.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

I'm guessing that there is a little confusion regarding the difference between RAM and ROM. ROM is the easiest to explain, this is Random Access Memory, like CDs, DVDs, your hadd. It is always there to read. RAM is the volatile memory, this is only active when there is power to the module. This is what stores information that you are working with while the computer is on. After the computer is shut down this memory ceases to exist unlike the ROM which will always be accessible.

#12 marym

marym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:16 AM

I should have clarified "memory" by stating my C Drive is 99% full and I don't know why, because as I stated, I had deleted unnecessary programs, files and photos from the drive. I also run disk checkup once every 4 months or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users