Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

apple menu doesn't work - can't do normal shutdown

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

10.6.4 on macbook pro.

If I click apple menu > about this mac or > shut down nothing happens. I haven't tried force quit yet, but I'm assuming that won't work either. I can open System Preferences from the apple menu.

I had a grey screen w/ the ever-spinning gear on startup earlier this week. I started in safe mode and deleted some fonts I had added, thinking that might have been the cause. Font book had crashed when I'd tried opening some fonts - didn't install those. There were a couple of fontbook crash reports in CrashReporter and 1 Pages and 1 Safari. Same in Diagnostic Reports. Then I shut down and restarted w/out problem.

What should I do at this point? I haven't tried shutting down via the power button. The only peripheral connected is my MS wireless laser mouse. I downloaded some apps but I think the only thing I've actually installed recently is the fonts. I installed PaperPort in my WinXP VM, but I think that was before the startup and won't shut down problems.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

The only discussion of this issue occurring is from back in 10.5 Leopard days. But some of those solutions might apply to you. Also with all of the issues that I see you have been having I am wondering if something such as a bad hardware component that is causing some of the issues you are having such as a bad set of ram or a bad file system. Have you done any updates recently? If you have another account on the machine try logging into to that and see if the menu functions work. I wish I had more of a solution but that's all I can think of.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thanks computerxpds,

I did do a software update recently. I just let mac tell me when and what to update at this point. It offers an update periodically, so I haven't done the manual apple menu > software update.

I ran Verify Permissions in Disk Utility since this can be done in OS X. It found a lot of errors so I'm going to run Repair Permissions and see if some/all the weirdness corrects itself. Next time I boot up I'm going into single user mode and use applejack to repair the disks, clean the caches and remove the swap file. [I read the other recent post on crashing]. I'll run the hardware check either before or after I run applejack.

I forgot about trying the other user account to see if the weirdness corrects. I don't know if the best way is to log out or if using fast user switching is OK, but I'll try fast switching first in case apple menu > log out doesn't work.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

Oh I just remembered, while running os x hit the power button and a window will pop up with the options to shut down, sleep, log off ETC.. see if those commands work. And yes running apple jack would most likely be a good thing at this point. :)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

I couldn't log off or switch users. Hitting the power button didn't give me any options - I had to just hold it down until the computer turned off.

Before shutting down I ran verify then repair permissions in disk utility and then verify again. The first repair repaired a lot of the problem list, but there were several left over that a 2nd repair also failed to fix. Most of the list had JAVA somewhere in the path. Repairing permissions didn't give me any of the lost functions back altho rebooting might have been necessary after the repair.

After shutting down I rebooted into single user mode and used applejack to repair disk ["appears OK"], clean the caches & remove swap files. I also repaired permissions again and the same JAVA list was "repaired". When I ran repair permissions again the same list was "repaired". I don't know what's up w/ that. I'd like to look at the log but it's at var/log and I can't find any var folders. Per a linux post accessing the var folder requires the root user.

After I quit applejack I rebooted into the hardware test and no problems were found.

Boot up this morning took awhile - I thought I was back to the never-ending spinning gear - but then suddenly the grey screen flashed blue then loaded os X. So far things seems to be working again. I can access About this mac and zoom.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users