Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Clean Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:21 AM

CCCleaner is for Windows, is there a similar utility for Linux?
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:55 AM

You dont need to run any clean up tools on Linux or Unix. Each time you log off or reboot your system is clean of all temp files and process locks.

#3 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:16 AM

Keep Your System Clean with BleachBit

May 10, 2010 9:48pm GMT

Dmitri Popov

Keeping your system clean can be a time-consuming affair, unless you use specialized tools like BleachBit (thanks to Nick Lord for the pointer). With just a few mouse clicks, this nifty little utility can help you to purge all the junk produced by the system and installed applications. Packaged versions of BleachBit are available for many popular distributions, so you can easily install the utility using your distro's package manager. Once installed, you can run BleachBit either as a regular user or as root.

Posted Image

BleachBit's interface is simplicity itself, so you can figure out how to use the tool in a matter of minutes. Better yet, BleachBit provides brief descriptions of each cleaning option, making it even easier for you to use the tool. BleachBit supports a wide range of applications, including Firefox, Google Chrome, Konqueror, and OpenOffice.org. You can also use the utility to clean up after APT and Bash as well as remove assorted junk left by the system.

Besides the GUI, BleachBit features a command-line interface, which lets you automate the tool using scripts. For example, you can create a simple script that cleans Firefox and Google Chrome cookies using the following command:
bleachbit --delete firefox.cookies google_chrome.cookies
Create a cron job, and BleachBit will nuke cookies on a regular basis. You can find additional examples of how to use BleachBit from the command line on the project's Web site.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/download/linux
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does GNU/Linux need the equivalent of a Windows registry cleaner?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

I use BleachBit. Works similar to Ccleaner. BleachBit works in both Linux and Windows.
You can also run it as ROOT for cleaning up system logs, etc.
Here is one link: http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/screenshots
On Ubuntu, which I use, it is installed by default. If installed, it will be listed under applications, System Tools
If not installed, check in Ubuntu Software Center. You can install from there. If you are using Ubuntu.
Be cautious when setting it up. As you click on each item in the menu, a short description will appear in
the right pane.

Edited by buddy215, 20 November 2010 - 11:38 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for the input, one and all. All this started when I logged into the public wi-fi at work. My internet slowed to a crawl. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that the problem wasn't at my end, rather it was the wi-fi at work that was messing things up. I guess it was under a lot of use for that time period. I have hooked up at home right now and this Stick Am feed is coming over loud and clear.

Edited by Bezukhov, 20 November 2010 - 11:42 PM.

#6 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:50 AM

Hi,
Some clear CLI cleanup guidance here:

http://www.stchman.com/cleanup.html

Hope these help?

Richard

#7 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:41 AM

Thats good to know. I will bookmark that page.

#8 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

If you are using Ubuntu, you can use this command to rid your system of junk files:

sudo apt-get autoclean

#9 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

If you are using Ubuntu, you can use this command to rid your system of junk files:

sudo apt-get autoclean

That helped, thank you. That was the first time I used the command line in Linux to actually do something. I had this lingering fear that if I messed with it I would start WWIII.

#10 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

[/quote]

That helped, thank you. That was the first time I used the command line in Linux to actually do something. I had this lingering fear that if I messed with it I would start WWIII.
[/quote]

To ease you in to using command line, have a look at Commandline Companion. It has some pre-written commands in its own terminal to guide you and it does the work for you. Good description at this link:

http://lifehacker.com/5617026/clicompanion-is-a-terminal-with-a-customizable-searchable-dictionary-of-commands

https://launchpad.net/clicompanion says ...

CLI Companion is a tool to store and run Terminal commands from a GUI. People unfamiliar with the Terminal will find CLI Companion a useful way to become acquainted with the Terminal and unlock its potential. Experienced users can use CLI Companion to store their extensive list of commands in a searchable list.

#11 T Simon

T Simon

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

Started using Linux a couple of months ago and am still learning, thanks for all the tips!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users