Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On Reboot The Date And Time Change

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doofly48

doofly48

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:40 AM

I've been having this problem for about a month and a half. Every time i reboot my machine, the date and time get change. At first the month would get changed to january , and the time would change exactly 1 hour back of the real time. The day and year were fine. That was in october. Now that its november and the daylight saving took place. The time is fine, but the month still gets rolled back but February. It seems to go back 9 months from the current month for some reason.

I've ran Registry Mechanic, fixed all the probs that it found, but it didn't help this prob.
I've ran Anti virus' programs - nothing
I've ran Spyware removers - nothing

So I'm kinda out of ideas now and any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Doofly48

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:57 AM

This is usually a problem caused by a dead battery on the motherboard. They are inexpensive and easy to change.

You can see the procedure on this site. Don't worry about writing down the CMOS settings, it not required IMHO.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 doofly48

doofly48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:22 PM

Nope it's not the battery actually. Forgot to mention that i did test that.

#4 doofly48

doofly48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 01:55 AM

bump?

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:26 AM

You tested the battery? And what did you find?
I'd suggest the only way you can be sure it's not the battery is to replace it with a new one.

Have a look at the start-up processes in msconfig and see if there's anything in there which could be playing around with the date/time. Do you run any time synchronisation software?

Maybe your realtime clock is defective? - that would require a motherboard replacement. I don't think that's likely though.

Some hardware and software details might inspire others with fresh ideas to help.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Prayer

Prayer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:36 AM

Nope it's not the battery actually. Forgot to mention that i did test that.

I usually notice the time getting a little slow when power is off when a battery is getting weak. This is strange. Try booting up after you pull your internet connection. Try not to be off more than a few short minutes. Did time change ? No? suspect an autoupdate software then. Shutdown wait 10+ minutes. Is time correct ? If yes then battery pretty good. Shutdown, reconnect internet cable (lan phone cord whatever), bootup. Is time goofy now ? Definately suspect something running in your system. Look for phrases like "nist" "time" etc for processes that might change your clocks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users