Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive here that needs a partitioning job

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

Hi guys,
I've got a hard drive here that was used in a failed image operation a few months ago. it's one of my three beloved external hard drives, and I'd like it put back the way it was, namely having 500 GB on one big partition (hence it's name). The support staff who were helping me with this failed image operation heedlessly split it unevenly, the image (or more accurately, file dump) of my former OS is there. I want that gotten rid of, yet I do not want the valuable space allocated to that partition lost. The data? That's what I want gone, not the space on the drive. Right now, the partitions on the drive are as follows: OS (285 GB), and 500 (thee original, with only 93 GB) left. It's the OS partition I want to join to the 500 partition to make one as I bought the drive three years ago. I've been looking for partition managers that do not require running within a bootable environment, considering I do not have the vision to do that (I use a screen reader), I've checked out Easeus Todo Backup, found it very inaccessible with screen readers, which leads me to assume that all of their products bring on the same issue. Any advice on how I can get this to work with possibly free tools if you can think of any? I mean, you can list comertial tools as well, I'd just prefer it if they were free. Thanks.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

One free program that I can think of off hand is Gparted partitioning software.

The programs name is pronounced GEE PARTED

I have used it before to delete an unwanted partition that Linux had created on one of my hard drives and was amazed it seen a partition that windows based software alone could not see or manipulate.

Here is the link to the download and support page.

http://gparted.org/

Hope this helps.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

I was looking at that, but it appears that in order for it to run on Windows, it needs a live CD, do I have that correct? You'd think that there'd be options for those who need it to run inside so that screen readers can access it. That's the whole problem here. Neither of the screen readers I use can run while the system is booted in anything other than the OS itself. I use both JAWS for Windows, and at times, the System Access screen reader, and none of them have the ability to boot while the OS isn't loaded, therefore, all operations in safe mode, BIOS, rescue discs, or other utilities that load prior to the OS for me at least, require sighted assistance, and I don't have anyone technical enough in my family that could give me a hand comfortably. So, knowing that, would my best bet then be to ask Gordon college tech support to just do it for me as they originally promised? I won't learn anything that way, but since it's more about getting things done and then correctly imaging my current configurations. What do you think? Thanks. Or what about Partition Magic? Have you heard anything bad about that program? I was looking at that and I read somewhere that folks seem to think it's too old for newer Operating systems.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users