Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With My Geforce2 Mx/mx 400

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Louis

Louis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:08 AM

Im not exactly a computer genius so sorry.The info is from a Hardwear Diagonsetic.

Processor : AMD Duron 1100MHz
Motherboard Model : Biostar 6A6LMBO9
RAM : 192
Vid Card : GeForce2 MX/MX 400[NV11]

Basicly im having problems that i never used to have.Any 3d image such as games (which i play often) crash and the computer has to be rebooted, i find that large lines of colours such as dark lines shoot across the screen when this happens.But this only happens on very cold days ( or when the computer isnt warmed up), so i usually have to leave it on 24/7.If i turn of the computer and turn it on later, the screen will have mixed lines and colours which look like a puzzle, i have a pic i took of a game i was playing called world of warcraft when this happend.(the names and the chat text has been blacked out , the large black line is what usually causes the game to crash, but is usually much worse, this is the only screenshoti could capture)

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9743/wows...052250048if.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has any previous expierance or info about what i should do, tell me if u need more info on my PC or watever,

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:17 AM

I had similar problem sometime back. It was the monitor. Do you have another monitor to try or can you barrow one? Even an old 14in to experiment with would confirm or exclude the monitor. By the way you should think about increasing your RAM to 256mb min. What OS are you running?

By the way :thumbsup: to BC
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Louis

Louis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:42 AM

thanks for the welcome, im 100% sure its not the monitor, its only a week old and it did this on my last monitor anyways, also im geting another stick of ram on my next pay check, :D

Edited by Louis, 28 November 2005 - 12:43 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:11 AM

I have not needed this before but it looks like it may help.
Video Diagnostic Software

#5 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:58 PM

I can't see the problem you're talking about. You mean that the problem is the black lines over your chat box and character names?

I'd try updating your vid card drivers. Your card has to be at least a few years old and you didn't mention whether you've updated your drivers at any point. If that fails, try using a friend's video card to see if the continue. WoW can suck up a fair bit of memory, not to mention whatever memory the OS and services are already using. Your video card is only 32 MB, so some of your system RAM is being devoted to storing textures and such anyhow.

I'm not sure if you've had similar problems in the past, but you're playing WoW way under the minimum specs. For an optimal experience, you'd need a faster processor, 1GB RAM and a newer video card (with at least 64 MB RAM), but the most economical way to get all of that is to buy or build yourself a new PC. It's not terribly worthwhile upgrading your current machine from a price to performance standpoint. You can get overstocked Dell PCs for example, for about US$500 that include a warranty. They won't be the very latest model, but they'd perform significantly than what you're experiencing now.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:31 PM

I have that same 400 modl card in several Dell GX1. They all are 64meg but that model does have a 32meg cousin. I agree thought if you have not reinstalled the drivers I would. Some of the less expensive cards came with out fans. I installed a 40mm fan on my Invidia based Jaton 64meg card. About $4 USD

#7 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, overheating can cause weird artifacts, but he only sees it when it's a cold day... strange, that. The colder it is, the better solid state electronics function.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:14 PM

If you're using XP - try checking your Event Viewer for error messages.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users