Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable internet except for web email

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mach_v

mach_v

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

I need to setup a PC with XP pro with internet explorer disabled and only one web mail page for Road Runner email. I need to block all internet. But have to be able to send and recieve email. If i have to I will install Outlook but prefer not to. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:02 PM

I need to block all internet.

Hi -
You will need the internet to send and recieve emails - I do not think you can do this without ANY internet at all -
You can use another browser (Firefox , Orca , just to name 2), but the emails will not come in without an internet connection -
Unless I totally misread your question ?? Please correct me if I am wrong -

Thank You -

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

Setting up Outlook wouldn't do any good. As noknojon stated, you need internet access in order for mails to be downloaded into Outlook or other email clients and to send mail through the Road Runner server.

The client has to communicate with the mail server, and it cannot do that if there is no internet access.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

Thanks Queen-Evie -
I was not sure if I had read the post right - You confirmed that either the poster worded it wrongly or they need some I/net connection -
You can re-rout Road Runner via Outlook Express if you want (a tutorial is available) but it still needs to have connection -

Thank You -

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

I did a quick search. See if this http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/browser/restrictie.html is something you want to try.

#6 mach_v

mach_v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

Thank you all for your help. I didn't think it was possible, but I do believe that the site will help. Thank you very much for the responses and help. I will try it and let you guys know. Thanks again

#7 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

So you want people to be able access Road Runner email but nothing else?

This might be sort of what you are ooking for there are others.

http://majorgeeks.com/WinLock_d586.html

So you would have an admin account that you use to control WinLock and then a limited user accout for the others access the-mail. I do not know how friendly or easy it is, it has a lot of ways to lock down the desktop as well.

#8 mach_v

mach_v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

The Boutell site helped. It works. All I had to do is enable the security and make a password to view the site and all is good. Thank you for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users