Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No security software will update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wilkiesan

wilkiesan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

Trying to fix son's Toshiba laptop running Vista Home Premium. He had ThinkPoint on it and I think I got rid of it. Something else is preventing Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware,and Security Essentials from updating so I can run a scan. Any ideas?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

Hi,

My name is Casey and I'll be trying to help you out :)

Before we can do anything we must first end the processes that belong to any rogue program(s) so that they do not interfere with the cleaning procedure. To do this, download the following file to your desktop.

rkill.com Download Link

Once it is downloaded, double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with the rogue program(s). Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step.

If you get a message that rkill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by the rogue program(s) when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close Rkill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that rkill can terminate the rogoue(s). So, please try running Rkill until the malware is no longer running.

If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.

Then try and update your security programs and run scans. Please post me the logs and let me know how your PC is running afterwards.

Casey

Edited by Casey_boy, 21 November 2010 - 05:01 PM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 wilkiesan

wilkiesan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Caasey,

Thanks for you help. That allowed it to update all the software and now everything is clean, at least until I give it back to my son.

Jim

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

No problems. If you want me to have a look at a couple of logs, just to be sure, then let me know.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users