Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

combofix

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Logo09

Logo09

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

i am trying to run combofix but it keep saying that it cant run with avg installed. i uninstalled avg and ran the removal tool and combofix still thinks it is installed. please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

Please read ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

Louis

#3 Logo09

Logo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

ok, forget about combo fix. there seems to be some remnants of an old avg installation on my computer. i used the built in uninstaller and then ran the removal tool to remove all components of avg but they are still on my computer somwhere. is there another tool or something i can do manually to remove the remnants of avg?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

What removal tool did you use, this one?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Logo09

Logo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

yes. that is the one i used.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Where are you still seeing evidence that AVG is still on your computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Logo09

Logo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

well i am not seeing it anywhere... looked in add/remove programs and msconfig, used hijack to look for entries as well. but combofix seems to think its still in there.

#8 Logo09

Logo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:20 PM

Just ran Autoruns and couldnt find anything either

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

What happens when you do a search for it?

Start> Search> All files and folders, type in AVG,search.

Why did you uninstall AVG?

#10 Logo09

Logo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

Well i have an infection on my computer. i dont like avg because it isnt very good. i am moving to nod32 after i get most of the infection cleaned up with some other tools.
I dont know why i didnt think to search for avg. it turned up a lot of results.

Edited by Logo09, 22 November 2010 - 02:28 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

Try deleting these. You may need to go into safe mode to deleted these.

I would suggest that you follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this thread and ask.

I would suggest that you follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Since you have an infection and did not bother with the procedure to post a log (covered in the link previously supplied re ComboFix)...i will move this to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#13 Andi Gjata

Andi Gjata

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

You should get information before downloading ComboFix,because is not so easy to use,but it isn't hard to use it too.
First you shouldn't have any anti-virus installed.
Sometimes some antiviruses may not uninstalled correctly,try to to uninstall combofix and AVG and then try to install again the same version
of AVG.Sometimes it doesn't work at the first time but keep trying i know is irritating,but after a while you will see that combofix
will not recognize AVG, I RECOMMEND YOU TO TRY MALWAREBYTES TO atFree malware removal tool
is a very powerfull anti-malware removal tool.
If not, try the things that i said to you.
Hope it works, bye bye :thumbup2

#14 Logo09

Logo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:47 PM

I appreciate all the quick responses, but i dont need assistance with a virus clean up. i feel comfortable with my ability to clean off viruses. i just need help with avg. i deleted all the results from the search and i am now able to run combofix but it says avg has an active scanner.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

I'm going to presume that this means that you no longer want or need our assistance. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users