Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MMCSS and POWER Services freeze my computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Teddy Katayama

Teddy Katayama

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

When the MMCSS Service and the Power Services are both running my computer will freeze. All of my drivers are up to date and sfc /scannow had no errors. I can run my machine comfortably when I disable the MMCSS Service; however, Windows Audio Service is dependant on MMCSS.
So I went into the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Services \Audiosrv] and removed MMCSS from DependOnService. When I start the machine, the audio device icon shows that it works, only the machine freezes after about 2 minutes.
How can I disable MMCSS, get Windows Audio Service to run, and not freeze my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

You need to open the 'Services' panel and disable the Multimedia Class scheduler service.

#3 Teddy Katayama

Teddy Katayama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

I tried that. The only way I can boot my machine is to disable Multimedia Class Scheduler Service or Power Service in safe mode, then restart. Only problem is that the Windows Audio Service will fail to start without the Multimedia Class Scheduler service running...

Edited by Teddy Katayama, 19 November 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

Check this article out: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147417
Open Services and make sure 'Windows Audio' is started and set to 'Automatic'.

#5 Teddy Katayama

Teddy Katayama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

The Windows Audio Service will only start if the AudioEndpointBuilder, Rpcss, and MMCSS services are started... The problem is that when I start the MMCSS service, if the power service is running then my computer will freeze. I can disable the power service and start the MMCSS service but disabling the power service causes other things to fail. Now in my post I wrote down a way that I changed what the Windows Audio Service is required to start by modifying the registry. By taking off the MMCSS service in the registry and disabling the MMCSS service the Windows Audio Service should start, which it does, but after 1 minute the computer will freeze.

#6 Teddy Katayama

Teddy Katayama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

The MMCSS and Power service on my computer cannot run simultaneously without freezing and I don't understand why... The MMCSS is a service that was implemented in VISTA and Windows7, if you look at XP's Windows Audio Service you'll notice that MMCSS doesn't exist. MMCSS is a very simple service and I believe that the Windows Audio Service is the only service that depends on it. Hence why I tried to disable the service and removing its dependency in the registry that the Windows Audio Service calls. When I went to services after the registry change (while in safe mode) the MMCSS service was not listed under dependencies. But once I boot to regular mode it freezes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users