Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to format Maxtor One Touch USB hard driveMBR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 852741252369

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

Hey guys,

I've been having trouble with a Zbot/Heur virus and am currently problem solving it with the malware team here on this site. Due to this virus I have used MBRCheck to scan my hard drive's MBR's and it comes up with the following for my external drive, a 500Gb Maxtor One Touch 4: [465 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive2 RE: Unknown MBR code SHA1: CEECB0630DEB98A912C967BD5561D0F2BFE7D8C6 ] which lead me to believe I had a rootkit on my external drive. It is possible that the bundled backup software is what is causing this but I have decided I want to be rid of whatever it is on there.

My problem is that I am unable to find a command or program to erase the MBR on this external drive. I have tried many things and am aware of fdisk /mbr but that won't work as the disk is not in track0 and windows recovery console runs before USB is detected. Boo. The closest I have come to being able to format it was using testdisk-6.11.3 in that I can get this program to read the MBR but it comes up with an access denied error if I try to overwrite the MBR.

Anyone got any ideas I could try? I really want to do this so I know I can trust my backup drive but can find no solution.

Cheers,

Edited by 852741252369, 19 November 2010 - 01:18 PM.

Spanks,

"Music is the Best" Frank Zappa
Ya gert PrinK - http://www.PrinKmusic.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic359734.html/page__p__2012104#entry2012104

Above is your malware topic.

Please...do not make any changes to your system, unless directed to do so by the Helper in your malware thread.

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the logs you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users