Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with battery not shutting down (reposted)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mamameeya

mamameeya

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

I have an IBM X60 laptop. I replaced the battery and now have this problem whereby the laptop does not do a safety shutdown when it runs out of battery - it simply cuts out (as your TV would if you were to suddenly unplug it).

Is there anything I can do to change this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hi mamameeya,

It's possible the setting just needs to be changed in your power settings.

Open up control panel > power options.

Click on the "Alarms" tab on top.

Click on the "Alarm Action" button underneath critical battery alarm. Here you will have the option of having the computer hibernate, stand by, or shutdown completely. There is also the option to force Windows to shutdown any open programs in order to shutdown.

To prevent loss of data on things you are working on, I suggest setting the low level alarm a few % higher than the critical to allow yourself enough time to either save data, or plug in to AC power before the computer shuts itself down.
Dell Inspiron 1520--Intel Core 2 Duo/1.5 GHz--2 GB RAM--230 GB HD--Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family--Windows XP--Avast! AV Free--Spybot S&D--Malwarebytes--Hijackthis--Chrome (primary browser) Firefox and IE (rarely used)

#3 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

Was the replacement an IBM battery or a generic brand replacement?

sometimes the generic replacements won't play nice with windows power management.

Either way, follow BeachBumLi's directions, but if it was a generic battery, try setting your % triggers higher than they were with the original battery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users