Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus That Blocks Cookies?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wink12345

wink12345

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:04 PM

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone on here knows of a virus or spyware that changes settings in IE 6 to block all cookies. I just got rid of a bunch of viruses and spyware programs and everything seems ok according to my HijackThis file. The problem is when I try to login to somewhere like hotmail it says that all my cookies are blocked. I went to "Tools", "Internet Options", "Privacy" and tried to change it to allowing cookies but it won't let me. I go back in and it says "Custom settings." I'm thinking that it might be something in the registry that the virus or spyware put there but I'm not completely sure. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

Try going one more clic on the advanced button . Tools,Int options, Privacy ,Advanced. Make sure the "Overide automatic cookie handling" box is UN checked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:01 AM

I would recommend that you not set it to not accept cookies but prompt to accept or denie. You will find sites that you have to have cookies to use. This one for starters. eBay, Yahoo, Your bank, PayPal, BidPay,... and a host of others. Start with dening the cookie and if there is no problem then the next time you block it tick "Remeber my decision". If you need it then the next time "allow" and tick "remeber my decision". I have been doing this for years. What is more important is an effective firewall that will block out going traffic. I like Sygate 5.4 but
Zone Alarm is equally as good.
Sorry if I gave more than you wantd to hear, but I felt it important. Good luck.

Edited by acklan, 28 November 2005 - 12:02 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users