Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sweets

sweets

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:47 AM

I tried Recuva, PCI, Pandora, regained some lost files but mostly clusters and unreadble files in some gibberish. I'm only interested in Microsoft word files I created, no pics or anything else. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

You might try...

Partition Find and Mount free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Easeus Data Recovery, http://www.ptdd.com/

GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Louis

#3 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:41 AM

Once a data recovery program is downloaded online, can I go offline to run the program and find deleted files on the HDD?
Thanks

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:34 AM

Yes you can. Make sure to put nothing whatever onto the drive you are attempting to recover files from though!
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:43 AM

Do I turn off Avast anti virus while downloading and running the program?
Is it true that each time I run a data recovery program, I get back less and less files?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:09 AM

Don't turn off your antivirus while the computer is connected to the internet. Once you have downloaded and installed the utilities you want to try, and disconnected the computer from the internet gateway you use (modem, router etc) you could disable the AV if you wish. It might speed up the recovery process some, but I don't think it's really necessary.

Is the drive you want to recover files from a second physical hard drive or partition? If it is, and everything new (downloads, recovery program installs, and what files you have recovered so far) has gone onto a different drive or partition to the one you're recovering from, then multiple recovery attempts should not degrade the drive.

If it's a single drive which has one partition and hence you're looking for files in the same place the recovery software is installed onto and recovered files are being put on, then almost certainly harm is being done to lost or deleted files. If any of what is being freshly put onto a drive goes over the top of where you want to recover from, that you are looking for will be gone.

Edited by Platypus, 25 November 2010 - 07:15 AM.

#7 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:07 AM

"Is the drive you want to recover files from a second physical hard drive or partition? If it is, and everything new (downloads, recovery program installs, and what files you have recovered so far) has gone onto a different drive or partition to the one you're recovering from, then multiple recovery attempts should not degrade the drive."

To answer your question, once I discovered the HDD was "damaged" and files were deleted, I made it a Slave Drive on my current computer. I never did a disk cleanup, or anything further to delete any old files or add any new files. I tried several data recovery programs, like Recuva, Pandora, etc, recovered some files and a lot of "clusters" and some files with some strange cryptic writing undecipherable. But I want to recover only some Microsoft Word Files I created but have not done so to date. The drive has been my Slave Drive for over two years now, with nothing being done to it. Hopefully with these new data recovery programs, i will be able to get back those lost file, although I don't know if I'm supposed to link up the "clusters" to create the lost files.
Thanks again.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:22 AM

If a "damaged" drive has been powered and running in a system for two years, I don't know what chance to think you have of recovering anything worthwhile. I hope the files and fragments you have recovered were saved onto the new system drive?

It is possible individual clusters are part of a file you want, but establishing this and re-creating a file is extremely difficult. Likewise recovered files containing cryptic symbols - much of what is inside Word files does look this way when they are not being interpreted by MS Word. A partial or damaged .doc file can be completely useless. That is the reason professional drive recovery can be hugely expensive, and not guaranteed to give results.

#9 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:09 AM

"If a "damaged" drive has been powered and running in a system for two years, I don't know what chance to think you have of recovering anything worthwhile. I hope the files and fragments you have recovered were saved onto the new system drive?"
I made the damaged drive a slave drive, did absolutely nothing with it, no disk cleanup, no disk defragmenteation, it is just there. I did run 3 data recovery programs at that time, picked up several word files and put them along with the clusters in a folder on my good drive. I guess the question is can i pick up more word files now with new data recovery programs or is that undeterminable?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

You're right, there's really no way to know other than by trying.

On many forums I've seen people report favourably on GetDataBack, but it's not free:

http://www.runtime.org/

It will run in trial mode and show you what files it believes it can recover. Also there are some tutorials on the site, one worthwhile comment they make is that creating an image of the drive and trying recovery from the image is a good approach. If it is not possible to create an image of the faulty drive, then it's likely that recovery directly from the drive will fail.

#11 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

thanks, i think i tried GetBackData way back when this occurred 2 years ago, might try it again with more knowledge this time

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

You have to be sure to try the appropriate version of GetDataBack...they have one for FAT and one for NTFS.

Louis

#13 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

I think that all Windows XP versions were NTFS and all Windows 98SE were FAT, is that correct? If not, how would I know what is on my system? Thanks

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:35 AM

The versions...have almost nothing to do with it...it's the file system used that is referred to.

Win 9x...employs FAT file system, while XP can use either FAT or NTFS.

To see which file system is used...Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. The File System column reflects the file system for each partition.

Louis

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

Or in My Computer/Explorer the Properties of a drive will include the file system it uses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users