Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

graphics card problem?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mikefrance

mikefrance

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

I have upgraded from Vista to windows7. It took ages to get the program to load as it kept stopping in the final stages of configuration. Finally, got it loaded and on reboot it froze at the logo. restarted in safe mode and disabled the Nvidia geforce 8400gs driver The computer starts prefectly. It will not start with the card enabled. I have updated the card driver and Updated all the Drivers on the Asus motherboard. I am still having the same problem any clues anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

Did the card work in a previous computer?

#4 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

Could you please provide us with more information about your system hardware (CPU, memory, motherboard model, etc.) so we can help you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

Could you please provide us with more information about your system hardware (CPU, memory, motherboard model, etc.) so we can help you.

This is why I requested the Speccy, it will provide all of the information needed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mikefrance

mikefrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FBqCbZkgZ2kH4pR71rPgjIe
Thanks for your help!!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Did you download the drivers for the 64-bit Windows 7?

http://driverscollection.com/?H=GeForce%208400%20GS&By=NVidia&SS=Windows%207%20(64-bit)

#8 mikefrance

mikefrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:16 AM

Yes I have downloaded form Nvivia and tried versions
All with the same result. When the graphics card is disabled the computer boots. As soon as I enable the card the computer will not boot but freezes on the logo. Immediatley after I upgraded all the drivers on the motherboard including the 260.99 veriosnit did work until I put a DVD inthe machine. Then the screen got a pinky/purple pattern on it and froze. After that it would not restart. I have tried reproducing the success of the updates by updating all the drivers again, but it did not work. Do you think it is a software issue or is the graphics card itself damaged?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:46 AM

It's beginning to sound like you may have a problem with the graphics card. Is this card still under warranty?

#10 mikefrance

mikefrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

No its not, it must be three years old now. The problem of the funny colours first appeared when it was running Vista. I didnt get anywhere trying to fix that so I decided to go to Windows 7, I got an Englsh version anyway as the french Vista was challenging!!
is it possible a virus or something could have destoryed the card?
realise its difficult and only a personal choice but what card would you recommend that is liable to work. I do a bit ofgaming on the computer so a comparable card to the nvidia would be good.
thanks for your prompt help.

#11 VaynardX

VaynardX

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

^

If you see funny colors, I think that maybe an overheating problem. Since you said your card's 3 years old, it might not support windows 7. Anyway, I suggest you buy a new card since midrange cards are inexpensive nowadays.

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:53 AM

^

If you see funny colors, I think that maybe an overheating problem. Since you said your card's 3 years old, it might not support windows 7. Anyway, I suggest you buy a new card since midrange cards are inexpensive nowadays.

nvidia has 64 bit win7 drivers for it so it should be supported ,

did you try taking it out of the slot and reinstalling it making sure its seated correctly

Edited by caperjac, 20 November 2010 - 10:53 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

Since you said your card's 3 years old, it might not support windows 7. Anyway,

According to Microsoft that card is Windows 7 64-bit compatible.

#14 mikefrance

mikefrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

Would it be an idea to play safe and get another geforce 8400gs card. I should fit without any problems and presumably the updated drivers will work with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users