Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving mouse cause CPU spikes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GammaWing

GammaWing

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

Hello.
this problem started a few day's ago all of a sudden.
(note that it's more than 3 months after the last time i formatted, and the problem only occurred lately)
So, the problem is, that no matter where i move my mouse, it cause a massive CPU spike.
moving the mouse around on the desktop get the CPU utilization to over 40%, and if i run any other program,
and i move the mouse on it, it's utilization skyrockets.
I've been trying to solve it for 3 days now, and so far with no success. and because I'm a gamer, it renders my games unplayable.
can you help me? I'm really frustrated.

so far I've tried:
switching USB ports,
Updating drives,
several restarts,
formatting the computer,
changing to a different mouse,
all with no success.

here my computer specs:
Intel Core2Duo E8400 @3.00 Ghz
Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
4GB of RAM
Gigabyte Geforce GTS 250
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
Microsoft X8 Sidewinder wireless gaming mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard

Please help me. im truly clueless about that problem.
Also, i must say that before this problem occurred, moving the mouse wouldn't cause the CPU utilization to go over the 1-3%.

Thanks.

Edited by GammaWing, 19 November 2010 - 11:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

It could be an immense number of things! I've had a look around and found this is usually a lengthy process, so you need to be patient.

Does this also happen in safe mode?

Could it be that some drivers such as video drivers, have been updated by Microsoft Updates rather than Gigabyte and now you're left with a less compatible driver? So would 'rolling back' the driver fix this?

It could be a display/monitor device driver issue, it's worth checking those too!

I've also seen this behaviour associated with Malware, so consider scanning your system thoroughly with different scanners, and of course the faithful Malwarebytes.

See how it goes and let me know ok.

BTW nice specs :thumbup2:
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 GammaWing

GammaWing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

It could be an immense number of things! I've had a look around and found this is usually a lengthy process, so you need to be patient.

Does this also happen in safe mode?

Could it be that some drivers such as video drivers, have been updated by Microsoft Updates rather than Gigabyte and now you're left with a less compatible driver? So would 'rolling back' the driver fix this?

It could be a display/monitor device driver issue, it's worth checking those too!

I've also seen this behaviour associated with Malware, so consider scanning your system thoroughly with different scanners, and of course the faithful Malwarebytes.

See how it goes and let me know ok.

BTW nice specs :thumbup2:

Thanks!

I've already done some of the things you have asked,
This problem also occurs in safe mode, and drivers (sound,video,motherboard,mouse and keyboard) were not updated by Windows update, but by the manufacturers drivers.
Also, i have preformed several MalWare/Virus scans using Avast, Malwarebytes, and GMER. no viruses were found by any.
so it must be something else. could it be an issue with the BIOS?

#4 pominator

pominator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

It is your mouse high refresh rate that make your CPU to work. The Sidewinder X8 have a 500hz fixed frenquency and unfortunately it is cpu demanding. The problem is evoked in this lesnumesriques.com article :

http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.lesnumeriques.com/microsoft-sidewinder-x8-p288_5019_43.html

I don't think that it is that unusual for a gaming mouse though, AFAIK your cpu should not saturate that much if at all in most game with this mouse.

Edited by pominator, 19 November 2010 - 11:17 AM.

#5 GammaWing

GammaWing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

It is your mouse high refresh rate that make your CPU to work. The Sidewinder X8 have a 500hz fixed frenquency and unfortunately it is cpu demanding. The problem is evoked in this lesnumesriques.com article :

http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.lesnumeriques.com/microsoft-sidewinder-x8-p288_5019_43.html

up until a few days, this problem didn't occur, and i was using this mouse then. u don't believe that the refresh rate is the problem, but i am willing to try and decrease it, problem is i don't know how, cause the drivers for Microsoft don't have that option. so any guide would be appreciated!

#6 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

...so it must be something else. could it be an issue with the BIOS?

It could, and you could try to set it to defaults. See how it goes!

Remember to keep track of any changes you make to the BIOS.
It is a well know method to take pictures of you BIOS settings, you can also write them down.

Try changing the BIOS to Defaults and restart twice.

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#7 GammaWing

GammaWing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

...so it must be something else. could it be an issue with the BIOS?

It could, and you could try to set it to defaults. See how it goes!

Remember to keep track of any changes you make to the BIOS.
It is a well know method to take pictures of you BIOS settings, you can also write them down.

Try changing the BIOS to Defaults and restart twice.

I've just tried resetting to the BIOS defaults.
Unfortunately, the problem still persists.

#8 pominator

pominator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

up until a few days, this problem didn't occur, and i was using this mouse then. u don't believe that the refresh rate is the problem, but i am willing to try and decrease it, problem is i don't know how, cause the drivers for Microsoft don't have that option. so any guide would be appreciated!

You can't change the exchange frequency with this mouse, it is fixed at 500hz. If you have an entry level optical mouse on hand, you could try them both in a game to see if the x8 is degrading performance.

Edited by pominator, 19 November 2010 - 12:36 PM.

#9 pominator

pominator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

Here is a quote for the article I pointed out :

"Since the first version of the Sidewinder, the frequency of exchange between the computer and the mouse has not changed.
The field mouse sends 500 requests every second (500 Hz) or one every 2 ms. Most competitors have a higher exchange rate: 1000 Hz

Is it an advantage to have an exchange rate of 1000 Hz?

We tend to think not. The higher the frequency of exchange, the higher the mouse will overload the processor. At 1000 Hz, our Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 peak rises to 50% CPU usage with nothing but the mouse, while at 500 Hz it does not exceed 35%. In games, therefore we advise to stay on 500 Hz to avoid saturating the processor."

#10 GammaWing

GammaWing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

Here is a quote for the article I pointed out :

"Since the first version of the Sidewinder, the frequency of exchange between the computer and the mouse has not changed.
The field mouse sends 500 requests every second (500 Hz) or one every 2 ms. Most competitors have a higher exchange rate: 1000 Hz

Is it an advantage to have an exchange rate of 1000 Hz?

We tend to think not. The higher the frequency of exchange, the higher the mouse will overload the processor. At 1000 Hz, our Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 peak rises to 50% CPU usage with nothing but the mouse, while at 500 Hz it does not exceed 35%. In games, therefore we advise to stay on 500 Hz to avoid saturating the processor."

as i mentioned before, the computer was fine with the sidewinder before. the problem just poped out of nowhere, so i don't really think that it is the cause. because if it were, why didn't it show before and just now?

#11 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

When these spikes happen are you able to determine via Task Manager what process is causing it and what is the service related to it?

#12 GammaWing

GammaWing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:45 AM

Basically, any process i will move my mouse on, Desktop (explorer.exe), AntiVirus, Firefox, whatever process,application,game, it's CPU usage will go sky high. Also, Thank micksim, for keeping an eye on this post =)

Edited by GammaWing, 20 November 2010 - 01:52 AM.

#13 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:00 AM

In that case, it would make sense to totally uninstall the mouse and see if a different/basic mouse is still causing this.
I might be wrong, but it would appear to me, that if a basic mouse is still doing this, then it wouldn't be the Microsoft mouse or in fact any mouse at all! The source of the conflict would have to be something else.

What if this is being cause by the Real-Time protection from your firewall or AV? Maybe shutting these down might stop this behaviour, in which case it would mean they may need reinstalling. They may have become corrupted via an update!

If you can't associate the beginning of this issue with the installation of a new application or having attached a new device to your machine, then this has happened automatically via some update OR some software has become corrupted OR worst of all some hardware is malfunctioning.

We have tried quite a few things now, it's time to go to the route of the problem.
Try the actions described above, if still no joy then we might need to try a different video card etc.

Like I said in my early posts, I've been through this before, more than once, and the causes are always different. It has always been a lengthy process but the good news are that all cases have been resolved eventually.

A little bit of knowledge, a lot of research and a huge amount of persistence is the winning formula here :thumbup2:

Note: Always backup your data etc, be prepared for the worse and don't expect to win till you're absolutely desperate :wink:

Edited by micksim, 20 November 2010 - 04:04 AM.

#14 GammaWing

GammaWing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:25 AM

Is it really possible that i have hardware conflict which shows up only now (as i have the computer for almost a year now, and i didnt notice any hardware conflict/ malfunctions) ?
Also, tried uninstalling the microsoft mouse and i tried connecting a Logitech G5 (USB too), any it was infected with the same problem. i will also get a PS/2 mouse to test with.
can it possibly be that the USB ports are malfunctioning? something wrong with all of them? which leads to a problem with the motherboard? (as i tried both rear and front ports)
also, tried deleting all of the drivers i have, and reinstalling fresh copies of the most updated drivers for each (Graphic card driver, sound, motherboard, bios, keyboard, and both logitech and microsoft mouse drivers and utilities, but on one was installed at a time, not both of them together)
and the problem was still present.

deleting the antivirus didn't help, so its not the cause.

bottom line is, could it be a problem with my hardware? like USB ports malfunction. and that would probably leads to a motherboard malfunction.
or maybe videocard malfunction? how can i check those?

Edited by GammaWing, 20 November 2010 - 04:27 AM.

#15 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:06 AM

Yes hardware conflicts may start occurring out of the blue, when hardware starts going bad! Hence why it was alright before and now it isn't.

Are you comfortable with hardware troubleshooting? I mean, are alright to remove your Video Card Gigabyte Geforce GTS 250?

If so, then we need to find out if removing it and uninstalling its device drivers, and relying solely on the on-board video is going to make any difference!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users